CAT6 FTP euro module

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed Konig FTP Cat6 around the house and the shield has to be earthed to properly reduce interference.

I bought some BG Nexus faceplates to match existing sockets and a couple of Cat6 RJ45 modules. I noticed afterwards that the modules do not come with a shield. I am not sure if BG make the shielded ones.

My questions,

1. Where can I find decent Cat6 FTP modules?
2. Is it correct to assume all euro-modules have standard size and would fit?
3. Is there a difference in the quality of the modules from other manufacturers?

Sponsored Links
I've installed a lot of ethernet and never used shielded cable at all. Why do you need shielded?
I think you should connect the shield just at the patch panel, certainly not at both ends. You can get patch panels for shielded cable.

The shield is for interference where the cables run near mains/lighting cables etc.

If I only need to connect one end, then that's really helpful.

I am planning on buying a TP-Link gigabit switch with shielded panel.

I have always thought shielding was only required in factories with big electric motors or similar. Won't hurt to use it. Shield one end, the last thing you want is an earth loop

Sponsored Links
The shield is for interference where the cables run near mains/lighting cables etc.
The whole point of twisted pair cables is to be highly immune from that type of interference.

I very much doubt you would have needed STP or FTP in a domestic dwelling.

Shielded cable is worse than UTP in almost all applications.

It's hard to install correctly, has more capacitance, and is - ultimately - pointless except for a very narrow set of circumstances.

If all the cables go back to a single point, then you'll probably get away with it.

Make sure the shields are correctly terminated at the switch, and just strip them back at each outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back