Bad patio

Neither of you live in Northamptonshire and want to come round to check. Would be happy to pay.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Tony, hadn't thought to suggest you try painting the walls with StormDry. Might need redoing every 5 years, but if it's just water splashing up, then that might be the easiest solution. But I think you'd still need to cut the slabs back a bit, and change over to large stones.

Now are you suggesting just sitting the drains on the gravel bed Notch, as that would be a pretty easy DIY fix. You're right in your desription of a true French drain, but nowadays, it pretty much accepted as a gravel filled trench, except the gravel fills with earth, and the wet gravel lets the water soak across.

Yeah is wasnt being very clear :).....I was suggesting just cut an aco width trench, dig out to a depth and fill with gravel but finishing lower -no channels, then if that works, great if not fit acos and bed on cement.

Yes, one if the people that quoted suggested this. No think it' a good idea. I will have to wait for the bricks to dry out for this.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Notch might be the way to do it. Try with cutting out. Then wait and see. If no improvement add drains at a later date. Love it!

Neither of you live in Northamptonshire and want to come round to check. Would be happy to pay.

Sadly Im doen in Sussex!

As its mostly the garage thats the issue, why not sortbthat out first.

Its a problem because I guess its single skin and below dpc on inside.

As Doggit suggested treat with waterproofing. You will need to treat down below the dpc level along the garage section.

This is good stuff

https://www.promain.co.uk/liquid-plastics-liquid-plastics-k501-7364.html

And replace with bigger stones.

I am on it. I will send you a picture when it is complete. Thanks again.

French drains and gravel borders are shoite in this country, especially when used in conjunction with a patio. As Dogg has said, they silt up and require on-going maintenance. I NEVER use gravel borders. Amateurish tat.

So I fitted the acos. But the row of bricks is still wet.

Any other ideas? Should I paint them with a sealant to stop splash back.

Is this normal? Could it be a leaking pipe from below?

Attachments

• 20180314_192833.jpg
    20180314_192833.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 162
Notice that some of the gaps between the slabs are still wet. This also seems to happen alot. So maybe a leaking pipe??

Or could it just be the ground is saturated so this is the cause??

If your patio does not run drain back to the house you've wasted your time and putting a drain in. Note that this 6" rule only applies to new builds (or it did, when I was still landscaping). There is no rule that says you can't lay a patio up to the roof, if that's what you wish to do! (slight exaggeration!). If you have no issues with damp inside I would quit worrying about it to be honest. It looks like you did a nice job of the drain, I should say.

Hi thanks for that.

I just keep worrying about it. The bricks below only ever dry for a small period of time and they dry much slower than every where else.

The fact that the gaps between the slabs stay wet even when the pavements everywhere are dry is making me think that the ground below mist be really wet.

Would making a soak away under the patio work and relaying on top.

If not surely the bricks will eventually blow and that will be more expensive??? This patio is doing my head in.

I have considered getting a surveyor as the next step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back