Bad plastering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would really appreciate advice on whether the workmanship of plastering I have recieved is below a minimum standard.

My kitchen was skimmed a couple of days ago and on inspecting the work, in a number of places I could clearly see some undulations. I then investigated further by going round the room with a metre long level held against the wall horizontally. This shows variations of up to about 5mm in places. You can also feel ripples as you run your hand over the wall.

I am of no doubt that this isn't good plastering, but does it sound like a cause for complaint?

Also, how would I go about rectifying this? In places the plasterer had to patch in some of the cement, base plaster and so I'm worried that if I sand the raised bits I may end up going down to this.

It's so gutting as I've spent months doing all the other work only for it to be ruined by a crap plastering job!

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The new plaster should be flat smooth and blemish free ,you should not be resorting to sanding the walls. Do not pay these cowboys and if you have get them back or report to trading standards. :mad:

Thanks brisk.

To make it even worse I was dupped into paying well over the odds for this work. Thankfully, the majority of which I paid by cheque.

Having followed your advice and contacted trading standards, they've agreed I should cancel the cheque.

I can see it would be beneficial to get a reputable plasterer in to assess the work and quote to make it right,but am unsure if anyone would be willing to do this?

Sponsored Links
Not a problem for a decent plasterer to sort out,all he needs to do is pva walls and re sk :cry: im. You should see some of the walls ive had to re skim after people have had cowboys in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back