Bad room thermostat, no heating timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Main Combi Eco boiler which has no timer for the heating. In fact, there appears to be no way to turn the heating on manually at all?!
http://www.mainheating.co.uk/docs/main_combi_eco_elite_installation_guide.pdf

There is a wireless room thermostat, but unfortunately it is rubbish. I have no way to set the heating to come on at certain times and, worst of all, it has a nasty habit of resetting itself to the maximum temperature, so I don't notice until I start sweating. I daren't leave it on overnight or when I go out, since it will sit there and burn gas for hours on end.

So my questions are:
1) Is it possible to retrofit a timer to the boiler? Heck, if I knew how to turn the heating on/off manually then I could build my own timer.
2) Is it possible to buy a wireless thermostat that is part mechanical (bimetallic strip) so it can't reset itself? (Are thermostats universal or brand specific, or what?)
3) Other solution?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, I can't see any obvious make/model. Anyone recognise the logo?
thermostat.jpg

Sponsored Links
Salus products do not have a good reputation.

I have had a Honeywell wireless programmable thermostat for nine years. It has never gone wrong and is still working flawlessly.

Someone in another thread said these things can get interference from a nearby TV, and mine was right next to one. So I moved it to the other side of the room and put a new battery in, and so far it's behaved itself.

If you're not getting on with your wireless programmable stat you can certainly replace it with a single-channel wired programmer and indeed a wired thermostat as well.

Page 33 of your manual gives details.

If you're not sure what you're doing get a suitably qualified electrician in.

How much did you pay for your boiler installation and what warrantee did he give you?

I only moved into the house last year -this is what it came with.
With a wired thermostat, surely you have to figure out how to run wires from the boiler (in the kitchen) to some other part of the house, through the walls or under the floors...? Not sure how you'd do this without trashing the place...

Fit a wired programmer at a suitable position adjacent to the boiler, this will control the on/off times. Then stick with a wireless thermostat, but upgrade to a better quality manufacturer/model. The initial outlay will probably be recouped fairly quickly in gas savings and satisfaction the system is operating when and how you want it to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back