Bad Smell

S

Shutpa

Over the past week or so my wifes car has developed a really bad smell. Have taken out all the mats and washed them, but even without the mats, the guff is worse than ever being almost putrid. Any ideas?

ps Its not the wife - she showers every morning - and has a bath in the evening!

Sponsored Links
Last time this happened to me it was a pint of milk under the passenger seat which had been forgotten about. It had split and my god the stink was awful in the end i had to cut the carpet out and replace it.
You may have a bit of road kill lodged somewhere have you looked under the bonnet and in the front grill?
good luck
:)

No milk, no roadkill. And yet the smell tonight is totally overpowering. What on earth can it be? My kids refuse to go in the car now.

You probably have a water leak from somewhere that is settling in the foam under the carpets. The sunroof drains being blocked are a common cause. What car is it? Rub your hand over the carpets in the footwell and check for dampness.

Sponsored Links
Do you carry food shopping in the boot/luggage space?

Check under 'boot' removable floor piece, around spare wheel (if you have either) / rear (all) seats for that odd piece of food which may have slipped out of a bag into a handy gap, fish does an excellent job, especially when flat ...
Perhaps a '12 y/old's friend' has secreted a Trout somewhere inside the cabin for a laugh... Hooked on the underside of a seat is difficult to find.

;)

empip said:
Do you carry food shopping in the boot/luggage space?

Check under 'boot' removable floor piece, around spare wheel (if you have either) / rear (all) seats for that odd piece of food which may have slipped out of a bag into a handy gap, fish does an excellent job, especially when flat ...
Perhaps a '12 y/old's friend' has secreted a Trout somewhere inside the cabin for a laugh... Hooked on the underside of a seat is difficult to find.

;)

More like my 12 year old! Anyway, car is a 3 year old Suzuki Alto and the floor mats are absolutely dry. This morning removed all the loose mats and the spare wheel and washed out the spare wheel compartment. Bought a pine 'tree' air freshener but still the smell persists.
Regarding roadkill does anyone know of a place in the engine compartment where there could a dead bird or rat or even elephant?

Has the car recently been parked anywhere it shouldn't have been?

I have heard of some disgruntled drivers dropping a few anchovy fillets or similar into the heater air intakes on cars that have been parked inconsiderately.

Has the car recently been parked anywhere it shouldn't have been?

I have heard of some disgruntled drivers dropping a few anchovy fillets or similar into the heater air intakes on cars that have been parked inconsiderately.

No. Always park giving due consideration to other road users.

Problem solved. Found a wrapping containing what may have been cold meat down the back of the rear seats. Absolutely disgusting!

Sponsored Links
Back