bad water staining on beech frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, while doing some decorating, I noticed some substantial water staining on what I believe to be Cedar frames i.e. windows, patio doors and sealed glazing units. See image below, as you can see its quite bad. I've tried sanding it out but that's a no go. The workmanship on this site is poor and very slapdash, I have spent the best part of a day just cleaning the plaster of all these frames. I think they are meant to be stained or oiled with osmo or danish, although I prefer osmo matt, I'm not sure which at the mo as I haven't had a chance to discuss it with the client.

So can I do anything about this, if so how?

Photo0191.jpg

TIA

Note: Changed wood type from Beechwood to Cedar

Sponsored Links
Hot iron over tissue paper will draw out the moisture, small travel iron on any awkward spots.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean Jerry?

There is a lot of this around the place, these people are in the process of renovating a cottage and adding an Annex onto it, unfortunately I have come in late in the day and inherited these problems.

Personally I think some of the workers on this renovation are cowboys, the tiling is atrocious and the silicone work is worse still.

From what I gather, the wood stains are because of the tannin in the wood rising with the water and when the water subsides a tide mark of tannin is left. Its a damp place and they have just got the heating on so everything is starting to dry out.

I have read up that using an Oxalic acid or Oxalic based solution can remove these stains, being an acid type product I guess it has bleaching properties. I have a spare bit of cedar that I have deliberately wet to create the stain effect and will test out this theory.

Apparently this is quite a common thing with this type of wood.

I will try your method foxhole and report back, I think the oxalic acid approach is a delicate procedure but will try that as well just to see the effect and for future ref.

OK, the iron trick didn't work at all. The oxalic acid diluted 1:10 and dabbed on works a treat, I will take photo results when I get back there probably Wednesday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back