Badgers and fences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this doesnt provoke too much hate.

We have two young pups and live in a garden that likes to be frequented by badgers.

We have agreed with our neighbours to install a fence at the front of the property that would prevent the badgers from entering the garden. They can still use the protected run that runs in a ditch beside the house - though theyve become lazy using my garden as a shortcut.

My neighbour warned us that badgers or creatures of habit, an will follow there old trails - if a fence is in the way they will simply attack it or dig under it.

I have read elsewhere that using a wire mesh 30cm vertically up the outside of the fence and 30cm under the ground infront of the fence should put them off.

Does anyone have any success stories in similiar instances.I dont want to spend a mini fortune installing new fencing for it to be damaged.

Pete

Sponsored Links
What about gravel boards rather than mesh?

Dig a 1ft deep trench.

Install a fence at the bottom of that - normal 2.4m posts sunk as per usual, with say 2 concrete gravel boards then 4ft high panels.

Restore the ground level, and that will give you 1ft of protection below and above ground, and a normal fence, all using the normal fence system.

You could go down 2 ft and use 3 boards if you have enthusiastic badgers.

ML

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back