Higher fence and possible filler material to reduce traffic noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My garden and house runs parallel to a busy road. We have a standard 1.8m wooden slat fence and a hedge on the garden side but it doesn't do much to block the road noise.

I'm planning (with the right permission) to install a higher (possible 3m) wooden feather edge board fence on the road side. This would be attached to the current fence and create a small gap between the two fence panels. Are there many recommend noise reduction materials that could use in-between the fences?

Do people with experience of this think adding a higher fence and putting in material between them actually reduce the noise?

Many thanks for you advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think the general gist of some noise reduction is to reduce the air flow so solid fencing or brick walls as high as you're allowed is the way to go. Not sure if worth researching 'acoustic fencing', see if it's worth the dosh? You could spend a lot of money and time and it really not make much difference sadly. Noise is a bugger!

Sponsored Links
No they're not sadly, though look nicer. Sound is 'carried' in the air, so need something much more solid than trees as air blows through them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back