Badly positioned soil pipe - how to fit toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First can I just say thanks - I've been doing up flat for the past few months and have found the advice on here really useful - so thanks to all those people that have given their time and thoughts.

My problem is that I have a small, under-the-stairs cloakroom, which has an ugly 1970s toilet in it. I want to replace it with a short projection toilet, but there is one main problem as far as I can see. The soil pipe is a vertical one, in the floor about 6 to 8 inches away from the back wall. So the existing toilet fits in nicely, having a vertical ceramic exit, and being one the close couple types that sit a long way from the back wall.

With space (and looks) being an issue, I'm keen to get a modern short projection unit - but will I be able to use that with a vertical waste? I would also like to re-position the waste pipe, so that it comes up closer to the back wall, or is that just asking for trouble?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Will

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you have a close coupled toilet as they usually sit quite close to the back wall.The cistern sits directly onto the back of the pan.If the cistern is about 18 inches above the pan and connected by a 90 degree pipe these are called low level.

Thanks haveagoyourself, you are right, that is what I meant. Anyway, I've committed the cardinal sin of not searching thoroughly enough - seems other people have answered this one so sorry about that. Looks like some digging for me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back