toilet waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to move a toilet to a new position in the bathroom,which will mean fitting a new run of 110mm soil waste on the outside wall to the existing vertical soil stack.The new run will be a total of 4.2 metres in length.My question is do I need to fit an additional vertical vent where the new waste pipe exits the bathroom wall?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Diagram 3 shows 6m max branch connection for a single WC. Document goes on to say that if the figures in Diagram 3 are exceeded, the branch pipe should be ventilated.

Am I misinterpreting this because it looks to me that the OP 4.2m WC branch need not be ventilated.
Yes - you're misinterpreting it.

Firstly, the document says this:

1.22 A separate ventilating stack is only likely
to be preferred where the number of sanitary
appliances and their distances to a discharge stack
are large.

The bad grammar in this document is merely one of the many things wrong with it, but the overriding point is that it's nothing more than a guide.
It's not the law. It's not a set of rules or regulations. It is a guide.

AFAIK the changes proposed by the OP are notifiable. The only person with the authority to decide whether or not the 4.2 branch must have an open vent is the BCO for his LABC. This is the decision that the 2002 edition of "Approved Document H" is alluding to when it uses the words "...likely to be preferred...".

Many thanks for all your replies,there are lots of helpful suggestions,I will probably consult with local building reg dept. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back