Baffled by cold rad - Not sludge. maybe blockage?

Sponsored Links
What did you try exactly ,and what was the result ?
So last Saturday after flushing out the sentinel I did as you suggested and the flow came through on both sides at a decent speed. I filled a couple of buckets up from each pipe. I only did this on the hallway rad.

The two problem rads (hallway and lounge) got hot! I was amazed. I balanced all the rads again and have tweaked a couple over the week and they were all running perfectly until today.

This afternoon the hall rad stopped working again. I’m mystified. Should I try and balance the whole lot again? I didnt measure the temperature drops across the rads when I balanced after the flush.

Close all rads by their TRV, except the rads that don't heat up,and run central heating. Do they then heat fully ? If they do, it's a balancing issue.

Close all rads by their TRV, except the rads that don't heat up,and run central heating. Do they then heat fully ? If they do, it's a balancing issue.
Thanks. Tried this this morning and still nothing from the hallway. All other downstairs rads are fine. I don’t understand how it can work fine for 6 days and then stop again.
I’m debating whether to balance the whole system from scratch inc temp. Drops but as it didn’t make any difference when I shut all the other TRV’s I’m conscious I should maybe try something else.

Sponsored Links
Are the problem downstairs radiators fed by pipes dropping from the floor above?

Are the problem downstairs radiators fed by pipes dropping from the floor above?
I‘m not sure. It’s probable. is there a way to tell without visibility? The hallway rad used to be first rad to get hot downstairs after the upstairs rads.

The mystery gets more frustrating…….

To recap post chemical flush I’ve:
  • disconnected the hallway rad
  • opened each valve in turn to force through and fill two buckets. Comes through quickly without obstruction.
  • both problem rads (hallway and living room) work for 6 days
  • No heat in the hallway again. Cloakroom also not reaching temperature. Living room is still fine.
  • drain the system from the rad the otherside of the wall to the hallway rad (living room 2)
  • disconnect hallway rad and try opening each valve in turn again to force water through.
  • Turn CH back on and balance all rads from scratch throughout.
  • Notice rads are getting hot upstairs, then the rad immediately downstairs underneath it, then upstairs again. E.g. spare bedroom, living room, spare bedroom ensuite, living room 2, etc. I thought previously that upstairs used to get hot before downstairs.
  • hallway works perfectly for 3 days
  • Open hallway bleed valve and alternate closing the return and flow valve to force any air that may be in pipes. Run 2 litres through each.
  • Try the same in the cloakroom
  • no change to either radiator. Hallway return continues to be warm, flow is cold.
  • try closing all other TRV’s to direct water to hallway but still no heat. Try the same with the cloakroom.

Any ideas on what can I try next?

No. it’s not making any difference

Have you got a hot water cylinder ?
Is there a by pass on your system pipework ?
When closing all radiators that heat normally by their TRV's ,do you also close down the towel rads and any radiators that don't have TRV's ? And in that scenario do the problem radiators still not heat up ?

Take all the rads off in the house, take them outside and tickle them with a rubber mallet whilst giving them a hosepipe enema.

**** easy to do and will likely be a revelation.

No. it’s not making any difference
If no heat at all with all other rads turned off then you probably have a severe restriction/blockage on the pipework to that radiator.

Have you got a hot water cylinder ?
Is there a by pass on your system pipework ?
When closing all radiators that heat normally by their TRV's ,do you also close down the towel rads and any radiators that don't have TRV's ? And in that scenario do the problem radiators still not heat up ?
Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

No hot water cylinder. our system was changed to a combi about 8 years ago before we moved in.
Bypass - I’m not sure. how can I identify?
Yes closed down 2x towel rads for the test. Didn’t make any difference.

If no heat at all with all other rads turned off then you probably have a severe restriction/blockage on the pipework to that radiator.
You still think this is possible even though when I disconnected the rad the water was gushing out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back