Baffled - tap fitting.... whats this plastic thing for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a little bit baffled... I am currently fitting a Franke tap like this:-
http://www.sinks-taps.com/item-7424-AVERON_Pull_Out_Kitchen_Tap.aspx which is being fitted onto a standard stainless sink.
I have fitted taps before and am au fait with the whole securing of the threaded stud & tails thing and then using the C shaped rubber and metal washer to tighten the tap body onto the sink....... but this tap has come with a thick white brackety thing, and some long grub screws :?: what are these for and where do they go? :rolleyes: the instructions don't make reference to them.... the brakcet is like a white nylon triangle about 9cm at its widest with a hole in the middle which is the same size as the tap mounting hole in the sink (35mm) and looks like it might be some sort of spacer or load spreader / strengthener? It isn't clear where it fits though as I thought the C shaped washer snugged up onto the base of the sink.... equally the grub screws... there are corresponding threaded holes in the bottom of the tap mixer body adjacent to the hot and cold tail holes etc. but there doesn't seem to be anything else in the parts bag with corresponding holes and no clear indication of what they might do?
Can anyone help un-baffle me?

Sponsored Links
It's a nylon retaining plate that can be fitted to spread the load some even screw to the worktop.

So does it need to be used? and where does it go in the order? is it - rubber C shaped washer, this nylon support, metal C shaped washer, then, nut? Which way round does the nylon support go? long side of the triangle to the back nearest worktop or long side nearest the sink bowl?

Sponsored Links
It's a tap support which should be used if neccessary eg on stainless steel sinks which are pretty flexible. It should go on first, against the bottom of the sink top and it doesn't really matter where the long edge of the triangle goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back