BAL or Mapei Flexible Adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to buy materials for my shower room. They include 20mm Marmox boards, Large Format porcelain tiles and a single part flexible tile adhesive. My local tile supplier only stocks Mapei adhesives - but I don't know anything about them and was going to get BAL from Trades Direct as it is heavily recommended on this site.

My dilemma is that the local tile merchant is offering 20% off the total order if I get the boards, tiles and adhesive from him, which is about £250 discount on all the stuff.... So does anyone know if Mapei is any good / comparable with the BAL product?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume you are having underfloor heating?

The BAL flexible adhesive is worth its weight in gold. The BAL adhesives used to smell funny IMO but they seem to have sorted that.

If you are not having underfloor heating then just ply the floor instead of using the Marmox boards.

Hi Dry Flood. - No I don't have underfloor heating - the floor will be 18MM WBP ply with Tile or Lino.

The 20mm Marmox boards are going to be attached to strengthened stud work walls and breeze block walls prior to tanking and tiling. (I've ripped out the original plasterboard and tiles, which was fun :D ) Marmox boards are similar to Wedi and can be used on walls and floors - according to Marmox they can hold in excess of 60kg per sq metre if you use the correct adhesive. http://www.marmox.com/latest_news.asp

I was just after some advice if anyone had experience of the Mapei adhesives. - I think I'll contact Marmox and see what "correct" adhesive they recommend, but would also appreciate any comments on Mapei.

Thanks

Tnarg[/url]

the mapei gear is spot on to use and great quality. the grouts are even better but a bit awkward to use at first

Sponsored Links
the mapei gear is spot on to use and great quality. the grouts are even better but a bit awkward to use at first
Be careful with Mapei grout - it seems to go off all of a sudden and you can easily be left with grout that is difficult to remove on the tile face.

Plasterboard can take up to only 30 Kg while Marmox can hold up to 60 KG.
Jesus, how heavy are your tiles!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back