Bal tape OK with Wedi board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for advice on repairing my newish shower cubicle which has leaked at the trim corners. Cubicle built to plasterboard which has completely failed so I've chopped out the first row of tiles and left the rows above in position as the plasterboard is sound/dry. My intention was to use hardi board to make good the wall and tape the joint with the existing plasterboard using bal tape and then tank the repair with bal tanking kit. The plasterboard is 10mm thick, so I was considering using the 6mm hardi board fixed onto supporting battens that will bring the surface flush to the existing plasterboard, then re-tile using good quality adhesive and epoxy grout. That was the plan but I've just seen 10mm wedi board which would appear to be more straight forward. If I use that in the same way, will it take bal tape to cover the joint or would I have to use the wedi tape? As well as that, I don't want to use a another trim strip and have decided to tile onto the bal tape where it seals around the tray. Never done that before and will only be able to get about 5mm onto the top of the tray proper as the tray has a curved edge. Doesn't seem like a lot of surface and I can't widen it as the tape would show out from the tiling. If about 5mm of tape is OK, would it be correct to use silicone sealant on top of the dried/tanked tape before the tiles were replaced and then use silicone sealant as the final seal around the gap between the tiles and tray top.
Thanks for reading and looking forward to your opinions.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, looking for advice on repairing my newish shower cubicle which has leaked at the trim corners. Cubicle built to plasterboard which has completely failed so I've chopped out the first row of tiles and left the rows above in position as the plasterboard is sound/dry.
Who did the install and why did they tile onto plasterboard in a shower cubicle! What you are proposing is just a bodge on top of a bodge. The only solution is to strip off the tiles in the cubicle, remove the cubicle frame and redo the whole lot properly. Otherwise, pound to a penny it will leak at some point in the future. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back