Balance rads help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had some advice on balancing my rads from the forum, but now have a thermoter. My system is old no tvrs looks like lock shield valves both ends
1 normal lock shield plastic cover over top, the other end against looks like lock shield but with a plastic cover with + and - and is turned by hand.

My question does it matter what what end is the hottest lock shield or other,
As long as it has the 12d difference. Also what is to. Say the plastic covers have not been swapped over .

My first rad to. Adjust its as above lock shield is 55d a
The other end is 27d So obviously I leave the +and - alone full on and adjust lock shield but is it to be lower than other end

Thanks cliff[/b]

Sponsored Links
Your post is really confusing. Manually operated radiator valves work in the same way, they open anti-clockwise, and shut clockwise. A lock shield cap is provided to preserve the system balance once the valve has been set correctly. The + and - symbols are on a standard valve handwheel, used by the homeowner to turn the radiator on or off without disturbing the system balance.
There are many posts advising on balancing, I'm not going to go into it again here.

Doesn't matter whether the l/shield or the wheel head (+&-) is the flow or return. Balance the rads by adjusting the l/shield valve only.

Otherwise, as said above, if someone turns the w/head valve on a rad, you've lost the balance for that rad.

1. The lockshield valve is usually the one on the return pipe, i.e the one which is cooler, and should have the plain cap. The other end should have the wheel-head (+ -) cap.

2. If you have a wheel-head cap on one end and a plain cap on the other end, you will normally be able to swap them over so the plain cap is on the cooler end.

3. All wheel-heads should be fully open when balancing the system.

Read How to balance a CH system.

On a properly balanced system the LS valve will be no more than one turn open from fully closed.

Tip: Use the wheel-head cap to adjust the LS valve; it's much easier than using a pair of pliers, mole grips etc, and you can make very fine adjustments.

Remember to put the wheel-head back on the other end!

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks that sense, I will have a go. I do feel some of the wheel head caps are on wrong ends of rad. so will change over.

Thanks for the advice

Cliff

Your post is really confusing. Manually operated radiator valves work in the same way, they open anti-clockwise, and shut clockwise. A lock shield cap is provided to preserve the system balance once the valve has been set correctly. The + and - symbols are on a standard valve handwheel, used by the homeowner to turn the radiator on or off without disturbing the system balance.
There are many posts advising on balancing, I'm not going to go into it again here.

Bolshy yes I have read numerious instructions on balancing the rads but. none i have found explained as i had asked if you have 2 in effect lock shield on the rad one each end. A gueniue question could they be changed over and that was answered for me "with the system fully opened the lockshield will be the return valve and cooler. I also understand that if once balanced someone then opens or closes the other end it's no longer balanced so unsure why these companies add it in the first place. But thats another question, I will not ask in fear of being shot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back