balanced cold, and cold pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Can someone can help me out-I'm doing up a property-the whole place is being re plumbed.

The plumber has put in the downstairs c/h circuit and water pipes. For the water circuit there is a balanced cold pipe, a cold pipe and a hot pipe.

He's now away for a month so I've done the upstairs and he's going second fix.

My question is, does the cold water pipe upstairs 'mate' with the balanced cold, or cold?

Any help greatly appreciated ps, can't ask my plumber as he is abroad

Sponsored Links
If by the cold upstairs you mean for the bathroom then it needs to link to the balanced cold so that you have equal pressures at your outlets. The cold will be the incoming main that needs to go through the pressure reducing valve of your unvented cylinder and then that is your balanced cold.

Many thanks for that-the only thing that has confused me is I have a hot, cold, balanced cold and 'blue plastic'mains water inlet pipe. Does this make sense?

I would expect the blue plastic to come in from the stopcock outside. I would then connect this to 22mm copper which would be your cold. This would run to the UV cylinder's pressure reducing valve and from that you have your feed to the cylinder which becomes your hot and also your balanced cold. The hot and balanced cold would then run to all of your outlets.

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks again. I know what you mean, but the cold goes somewhere under the floorboards!

I've sorted the upstairs system out and will be lining it up with the downstairs balanced cold. I'll have to ask my plumber what the other cold is for when he second fixes.

Thanks again, you've been a great help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back