Balanced flue gas fire - replacing piezo sparker - GasSafe job or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told some while ago, by what would have been a CORGI guy (at the time) that I called in, that replacing the Piezo sparker was DIY-able. He confirmed that this was because although the Piezo device was inside the external casework, it was not inside the sealed compartment, i.e. not on the gas side of things. There's an insulated cable assembly that runs down the inside of the casework, passes into the sealed compartment and connects to the pilot light assembly.

Is that information still correct? Is this a DIY job?

This is the sort of model, glass-fronted, with the balanced flue straight out the back...
1704703499595.png

A further complication is that the Piezo device (Valor Homeflame 554909 AFAIK) shows up as obsolete with some official-looking suppliers, but as NOS/old stock elsewhere (....not just eBay), so further suggestions welcome.

TIA

PS I appreciate that this is not a CH question - so many thanks for your patience - but where else to post?

Sponsored Links
Wow! That is good news.

I'll contact that first supplier. Hopefully it is not just the nut they have in stock.

This is one of many suppliers that indicates obsolescence:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
one of the best fires ever made . fitted hundreds of the various homeflames in 80`s early 90`s

one of the best fires ever made . fitted hundreds of the various homeflames in 80`s early 90`s
Agreed! Easy to use - good for low-level background heating, and few if any safety issues.
Just a tiny shame that the Piezo device has a limited lifetime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back