Balanced flue VS Chimney flue + PICTURES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking all new gas boilers need a balanced flue, no option?

Also, can a new Oil boilers use a new conventional flue instead of a balanced flue? Although fitting a RS flue would be much easier than being a chimney-sweep/steeple-jack type operative! :confused:
THIS HAS BEEN EDITED 15th Dec.

There is earth behind wall to the left side of this boiler, so through the wall RS flue difficult to arrange.

The asbestos-cement flue run in garage.
ASP3.jpg

Chimney stack is behind last elbow and rises 6m from the elbow point.
ASP2.jpg

ASP1.jpg

Harford-Unical Hotspur 95,000BTU's
HOTSPUR.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Grant do a vertical condensing oil flue in fancy stainless steel(for chimneys) with suitable concentric enamelled pipes and elbows if you need to go through a roof. Works very well but the boiler is not BF it has to have ventilation like normal. But as always be prepared for the shock of the price of the flue.

open flue is uneconomical, less safe, problem prone and needs regular mainenance. other than that they are great

Gas boilers are available in open flue and balanced flue and room sealed.

So are oil boilers.

Just depends which condensing ones you are looking at. All types are out there.

Bit of a vague question really ;)

If I was asked to replace an old oil boiler I would assess the situation on site, talk over the options with the customer, then return to my office and write them a detailed quote. All for nothing!

But then I do win most of the jobs in the end :cool:

The flue arrangements are very important with oil and because of the smell there are both greater BS distances and also more practical considerations to siting.

Sponsored Links
I was tending to think a room sealed balanced flue, through the wall would be a more pleasant option. On a high apex to the roof you need to draught in extra pro's to either do slating/flashing or feed/back-fill the liner :confused:
Also, if you quoted for the job, through the wall would be a much cheaper (so probably more desirable for customer) option!
Did I also say there may be another old liner to remove before fitting a brand new boiler. This particular flue could not go up the wall in shiney stainless as its in the Nation Park.

Apart from that EASY! :confused:

PS. Would a draught-proof vent be ok if the chimney flue was decommissioned :?:

As ever, it depends. The rear BF option is cheaper but you will have nowhere to go if the customer complains that they get the POC back into the house through windows, doors etc.

So it depends on survey and experience. If you have little experience, the risks are higher.

If your customer wants the cheapest option, make sure your quote outlines the potential pitfalls so they cannot later claim to have been mislead.

And yes, the old liner will have to come out if you go up the chimney. Worcester do a plastic liner and key installers (like us) get 5yrs warranty at the moment on their oil condensers.

Half the time the old oilers didn''t get a liner at all, cheapest quote again!

And yes, the old liner will have to come out if you go up the chimney. Worcester do a plastic liner and key installers (like us) get 5yrs warranty at the moment on their oil condensers.

How do you get on the Worcester list for oil, sounds a nice earner??

As ever, it depends. The rear BF option is cheaper but you will have nowhere to go if the customer complains that they get the POC back into the house through windows, doors etc.

So it depends on survey and experience. If you have little experience, the risks are higher.

If your customer wants the cheapest option, make sure your quote outlines the potential pitfalls so they cannot later claim to have been mislead.

Half the time the old oilers didn''t get a liner at all, cheapest quote again!

I have now seen the flue/boiler job and posted pictures for all to gaze at! Note the dreaded ASBESTOS! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back