Balanced flue up a chimney

So we have to use more electricity (fanned flue) to make a more efficient boiler!

Wonder if the electricity usage is take into account in the calculations.

Sponsored Links
The stated power consumption for a typical condensing combi boiler is around 0.18KW/hr

I attended some vokera training recently and there rep was telling us of the flueing options they have developed. They have a 2 pipe flexible flue system that can be dropped down a chimney (best to hold on to one end though)
They do alot of local authority work and need to replace BBU cheaply and relocating a boiler to an outside wall is costly. They are also an option for changing boilers on U & SE Duct (I assume they must change all the boilers in one go)
I don't know any detail on the system but he claimed they could be flued some 400ft.

Hope this helps

Keston boilers use 50mm muPVC plastic waste pipe as the flue and air ducts. This is normally available in 3 metre lengths, but possibly in longer lengths (e.g. 4 metres) in which case you could avoid intermediate joints altogether. In any case the joints are solvent welded so are as solid as the pipe itself - arguably not requiring inspection access. You may be able to terminate the air duct elsewhere so only need to run the flue duct up the chimney.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
If a flue joint is not accessible then the installation of the boiler becomes Not to Current Standards and will not meet Building Regulations and will not be coverable on BG insurance cover.

I wonder what the CORGI installer will have to say!

Tony

BG will cover any boiler with a NTCS anything....makes no difference.

nickso said:

Thats not always the experience of some of our customers who sometimes contact us to bring their boilers up to an acceptable standard for BG cover.

Tony

As the man said, Vokera (and Halstead) have made up a flexible flue systems that are designed to allow existing chimneys to be used. Vokera's is a 2-pipe system while Halstead's is somehow concentric.

wonder if anyone has attempted to stick a combi in a living room chimney breast using one of the above methods?!!!.....

Agile said:
nickso said:

Thats not always the experience of some of our customers who sometimes contact us to bring their boilers up to an acceptable standard for BG cover.

Tony

dont know about that. im just telling you the facts regarding NTCS abd BG contract. there is nothing stopping BG taking an NTCS situation on contract.

if the engineer is angling for an upgrade then thats a different matter entirely.

Halstead Eden VBX with a kit E, vertical flue for chimneys. Not technically room sealed but will give you a condenser but with a wall or floor vent.

As it is replacing an existing CF boiler I would guess the OP already has the right ventilation!

IJWS15 said:
As it is replacing an existing CF boiler I would guess the OP already has the right ventilation!

why would an open flue boiler have the right ventilation? my experience suggests less than half have.

I did say guess!

It would appear to have operated for years without gassing anyone!

Note "appear"

IJWS15 said:
I did say guess!

It would appear to have operated for years without gassing anyone!

Note "appear"

why does it "appear" to have functioned ok for "years"?

the words appear and guess still make both statements a huge leap into the realms of possiblility.

Hi nickso

Don't worry, as the original poster I can assure you that the CF boiler does have the required ventilation and has operated perfectly well for years (there were no dead bodies on the floor when we moved in anyway ;) ). The bungalow originally belonged to my parents.

Mr Smyth, chrishutt, ACOperson et al

Thanks for the info about the flexible flue systems... I'll have to investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back