Flue in chimney - can this be re-used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The property I am looking to buy has a very old hot water and central heating system. It's on its last legs according to a survey and the flue is in the chimney. The boiler itself is a floor-standing one located in the kitchen downstairs.

If I were to get the central heating system replaced with a modern system then would I be able to reuse the existing flue in the chimney?

Sponsored Links
Depending on a number of factors, there are some lining solutions out there.

Worcester Bosch, and Viessmann chimney lining systems I have experience with, but other makes such as ATAG and Dimplex also offer products I believe.

If you currently have a flexible flue liner this will require replacement in most instances

The chances are the chimney will have a flexible stainless steel flue liner which cannot be used with most modern boilers.

There,s no reason you cant install a newer version of what you have already got, but most installers would want to replace the flue liner anyway.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I didn't word my question clearly.

The location of the current flue is the chimney. I suppose what I was actually asking is whether or not I can continue to use the chimney as the flue or not?

Yes you can - either as a conventional flue or as a vertical balanced flue. In the second case you won't need a permanent air vent in the room containing the boiler.

You have mentioned the maker of the best boilers - I won't repeat it because it will set the cacklers off again!

when you say that the chimney is the flue, i,m getting confused :confused: it must have a liner or a rigid flue passing up inside you cant used a 9"x9" brick flue for a gas or oil fired boiler.

^ This is correct, there's a liner in there and the exhaust gases escape from the chimney.

mysteryman";p="1898473 said:
Yes you can - either as a conventional flue or as a vertical balanced flue. In the second case you won't need a permanent air vent in the room containing the boiler.
mysteryman";p="1898473 said:
A NEW cf boiler, how old is this post?

Taz, I took it from reading your post, that ypu wished to use the EXISTING flue liner for a new boiler. If so, the answer is NO

If you wish to use the CHIMNEY as a route for a new flue liner for a boiler, then YES (although the new one isn''t technically a "liner")

If you wish to use ther EXISTING LINER for a fire then NO

If you wish to use the CHIMNEY for a fire, then YES with or without (subject to the integrity of the chimney) then YES

Sorry about the idiot list, but I fear that no one is entirely sure of your concerns, and some posts have rather muddied the waters further!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back