Vertical Room Sealed Flues and Old Chimneys


5 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We're fitting an oil fired combi (worcester greenstar heatslave 12/18) into a smallish single storey stone building. There is nowhere suitable for a horizontal flue terminal so we are considering a vertical RS flue. We have a redundant chimney stack and would ideally like to route the flue up the chimney. The chimney runs down a corner of the building with a brick breast and stone lintel.

We have platform access to the top of the chimney and access at ceiling level from inside. Ideally we'd route down the chimney to ceiling level then out at 45degrees into the room then vertically down the wall to the boiler. The total run is about 4metres (worcester spec 6m max so presumably it's a fanned flue?)

To get to the question, first off is this a good idea? and secondly how workable are the worcester 80/125 RS flue components. Will I be able to cut them to length and join them up in confined spaces? Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
ask w-b, by phone or email. they are extremely helpful. i hope you are not planning to do this yourself
Thanks, I've established now that the flue components can be sized to length so there's no problem there and W-B confirm that the length of the run is fine so it looks like a goer.

bengasman - yes we are planning to install it ourselves. It's oil fired so there's no gas connection to worry about so is there a specific problem with fitting your own flue?
you have to be competent to fit the gas pipe, appliance AND the appliances flue pipe

Sponsored Links
Looks like we'll need an oftec bod then to do final connection and commissioning. Next problem... finding one who's prepared to flog out into the Peak District!
I am sorry I thought it was a gas boiler not sure about oil

I do apologies to sticking my oar in

You may find it difficult to find a registered installer to fit a boiler that is not supplied by him. You can commision a boiler that is installed by someone else, but you can only notify your own work. That means that if you ever have an insurance claim, the loss adjuster can rightfully claim negligence on your part. Add to that the poor bloke will have to drive for miles to receive only payment for half a job, and I would say you may find this one a bit difficult

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local