Old Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old floor-standing Potterton Kingfisher II has been replaced by a wall-mounted condensing boiler with it's own flue. I now have a 'redundant' flue. It was a flexible tube which is inside a brick chimney passing up through the roof. As the photo shows, the short length which connected it to the old boiler, has been disconnected.
Should I seal it at the chimney and if so, can I just cut a concrete slab to size and cement it on or should I take down the chimney ?
Where it comes into the boiler-room, should it be sealed or should I put a grille or similar in place for ventilation ?
I would like to remove it entirely from the boiler-room but I suppose that if I start to chop away the bricks, the whole chimney could come down on me.
Can anybody help please, this must be a common problem as the old boilers are replaced . Am I correct in asking on this forum or should I be asking on 'Building' ? View media item 18089 View media item 18089

Sponsored Links
if your keeping it i would put a vent in just to keep the air flow through it as if its blocked it may start to sweat inside and cause all sorts of problems, if you want it removed i would consult a builder with experience of this type of job.

No reason you can't remove it entirely...... FROM THE TOP DOWN

Put a barrow under the 'ole & toss the bricks removed from up above down tha chute like ......... Mucho easy :D

Fixing the hole in the roof is summink else ......... Summer job perhaps ? ....... Tell the Mrs to STFU if she wants it done "NOW"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back