balancing central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have just installed new pipework for a central heating system. It was formerly a one pipe system, and has now been changed to two pipe, with 3 extra rads to previously.

I have been balancing the system, but by the time i reach rad number 6 or 7 the boiler shuts down. I have the room stat set at 30 while i've been doing this.

Is it possible that the room stat needs replacing, or should i increase the pump speed? It's currently set at 2 out or 3.

Cheers for advice.

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler permanently shut down or just whilst it reaches temp on it's own control stat?

No it doesn't permanently shut down, just goes back to pilot. It only takes ten mins though. I guess it is summer though. However, when I turn the room stat it clicks at 22. If I turn it to 30 it doesn't make the boiler fire up. The room stat is old, and could be full of dust, could this be affecting it's operation?

Cheers

Check the boiler control stat setting then flow pipe does not get too hot. If heat is unable to dissipate quickly boiler may reach temp too early.

Sponsored Links
Check pump isn't stuck, any zone valves you have fitted are wired and working correctly and the rad locksheilds are open fully to start with.

Hello.
Thanks for advice so far.

The pump isn't stuck, and I didn't need to install new zone valves, the existing ones were working fine.

I'm not sure where the boiler temp control is exactly!

There is a bypass fitted with a gate valve on it. I fitted the rad in the hall (same room as room stat) without a TRV, so maybe I can close the gate valve on the bypass now?

Would turning the pump up to full speed, and replacing the old room stat make a positive difference?

Thanks

With all the rad lockshields open fully (i.e. before you started the balancing) did the radiators all heat up okay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back