Balancing/lockshield question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a kitchen extension and our plumber has fitted 2 x vertical radiators. They don't have any cold spots but they aren't getting hot. After doing a bit of research on here, I think the system needs balancing (as some of our radiators are incredibly hot!) The issue is, none of our old radiators seem to have a lockshield valve - or if they have, they don't have a 'nib' on the top for me to turn. Even the new one's under the vertical radiators.

Any ideas? Pics below. Thanks...

20220918_075159.jpg
20220918_075253.jpg

Sponsored Links
You use an Allan key on those types.

Turn all the other rads off at the TRV's and run the system, do the new ones then get hot? Are the new ones on small bore pipe, smaller than the others?

thanks. i'll give that a go. i'm not sure if they're on smaller pipes or not tbh. all the other rads have pipes similar to the first picture, the new verticals have plastic pipes coming out of the wall - you can't seem them in the second pic because they've been trimmed down to go in the back of the central valve, but they did seem quite thin ish (i think!)

Sponsored Links
If they're 10mm, how large are the new radiators? The ones on your other rads look like 15mm, measured side to side, see if you can gauge the size of the new ones. If all the other rads are on 15mm and they are 10mm then it will be a bit of a pain to balance properly.

TBH, your plumber is the one that should be sorting this all out, that's what you're paying him for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back