Balancing of Radiators - improved energy consumption ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've just spent an hour balancing the radiators in the house after been fed up with our bedroom radiator been freezing all the time (even replacved it but still the same)

A bit of digging led me to balancing them and low and behold by reducing the flow into the downstairs radiators the upstairs ones are now piping hot - at last !!

I was wondering would this lead to a saving on gas usage or is the same amount of hot water simply been distribued more evenly ?

Be interesting in your views as if it does improve Gas consumption it would be a simple energy saving tip for people.

If nothing else I hada warm bedroom at long last ! :D

TIA
Mike.

Sponsored Links
it might actually cost you more... if you formerly had 4 warm rooms and 4 cold ones, and now you have 8 warm ones.

On the other hand, if you formerly had 4 overheated rooms, it might not.

Or if people were topping up their cold rooms with expensive electric heaters, you will save money.

I hope you have good thick insulation in the loft. An amazing amount of heat can flow through a badly-insulated upstairs ceiling on a frosty night.

Next summer you might think about fitting TRVs throughout; this will give you more accurate temperature control throughout, so will save you overheating any room.

Ah well we'll see what happens.

I've taken a few of the warmer rads down a notch or two to compensate.

After a week I should know whether consumption is different.

mikeyw said:
I was wondering would this lead to a saving on gas usage or is the same amount of hot water simply been distribued more evenly?
You've got more heat in the house, and you're wondering if that's going to use less gas? :confused: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Don't totally agree - remember some of the rads were piping hot and they have been taken down a level to allow more water to getup to the furthest rads.

Anyway i'm monitoring usage this week so will answer more own question next Saturday ;)

Unless you had a room thermostat in one of the rooms that was previously cold, you will be increasing the amount of heat dissipated into the house.

I don't know where you think that additional heat energy is going to come from, and who you think is going to be paying for it.

The energy consumption is equal to the heat loss.

Therefore 8 rooms will cost more than 4 rooms, as the heat loss into the extra rooms will be greater.

On the other hand some saving can be expected as the rooms previously heated will not loose as much heat through the fabric of the building into the cold rooms. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back