Balancing of Radiators - one with possible sediment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
One of my radiators heats up slower than the others and the top usually heats up quicker than the bottom. This radiator is the furthest from the boiler so i thought it could be a balancing issue
On a recent visit from an engineer on an unrelated issue they suggested it was sediment build up. The radiator has plastic piping leading into it from the wall.
From advice from others it had been suggested that there could also be a balancing issue.
So i asked the engineer to adjust the other radiators so that more flowed into the colder radiator.
However i am now wondering if this is a safe thing to do with the increased water pressure into this radiator possibly pushing the sediment around the entire system? - others have suggested this cant happen
Any ideas
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did the engineer adjust other rads ,and did it make any difference ? Does your slow heating rad eventually get hot lower down ? If it never does ,its likely to need cleaning out. If it does get hot all over eventually its probably a balancing issue.

Sorry for delay in replying, yes it does eventually heat all the way through just slower than the others.
When he first adjusted the boilers one of the other radiators was shut off and the effected radiator heated up almost as quick as the others.
When he came back and re-opened the radiator that was wrongly closed off, the effected radiator heats up more slowly again.
Thanks

Balancing adjusts the flow rate, the pressure is always a constant in your system and no amount of balancing will alter any pressure

Sponsored Links
When he first adjusted the boilers one of the other radiators was shut off and the effected radiator heated up almost as quick as the others.
When he came back and re-opened the radiator that was wrongly closed off, the effected radiator heats up more slowly again.
That proves it's a balancing problem.

What "adjustment" did he make to the boiler?

Balancing adjusts the flow rate, the pressure is always a constant in your system and no amount of balancing will alter any pressure
But a correctly balanced system will often allow the pump to be set to a lower speed, which means the system pressure will be lower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back