Radiator balancing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two 'runs' of radiators.

One run heats up quickly and nicely, all the radiators on the other run take quite a bit longer to heat up.

So I balanced the first run and have opened both valves on the radiators on the other run.

My logic behind it was that the hot water would take the path of least resistance and go and heat the open valve run first.

But to be honest it doesn't seem to have made that much difference.... maybe a bit. So... should I balance the radiators on this run as well?

Also... if I full opened all the valves on all the radiators what would be the implications of this?

Would the first radiator get scorching hot, the next one a bit cooler, etc etc until the last radiator in the run would be stone cold?

Sponsored Links
Uhmm... thanks... I know how to balance them.

And that page doesnt actually answer any of my questions.

The answer to your 2 questions in your first post are:-

!/ yes 2/ probably
I am assuming that your system runs off one pump and these 2 runs are not activated by zone control valves. ie straight off the same manifold.
In that case you need to treat the system as one, and balance it as one

Sponsored Links
They operate from 1 pump and come off the same manifold, but then they split. But not by zone control valves.

It's a bungalow in a T shape, Boiler/pump on the left hand side of the "T" and then two split off in their own loops.

The right bit of the "T" gets hot quickly, as it's nearest the boiler, the bottom bit of the "T", takes longer to get warm.

In your first post you said you balanced the first run. Then you would balance the second run. That will never work . You need to start from scratch and treat the whole system as one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back