Balcony on purpose built modern coach house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am buying a detached coach house and would like to put a balcony on as it has no garden. There are 4 garages under the coach house and 4 parking spaces, one of which is owned by the coach house. Problem is the lounge window is over another person's garage and my garage is below the hall window.

The balcony would not overlook anyone as it would look directly across the street towards 3 existing houses so it is not looking directly down on someone's garden.
Has permission ever been granted for a balcony on a freehold modern coach house? Could the owner of a garage object if the balcony was above his garage? Could the house owners object? Is it feasible to put the balcony above my garage although it would be under the hall window?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Putting your balcony over someone else's land is I think called a flying freehold, and is full of deep murky legal ramifications. You need to take your deeds to an experienced property solicitor.

Thanks for your reply.

It wouldn't be over anyone else's land because I own the freehold of the whole building and the 3 people only have a lease of the garages and parking spaces for which they pay me a peppercorn.

There is already a sky satellite dish affixed to the building at the moment which I know isn't the same as a balcony!
The balcony would be well above the other garages.

If that is still a problem, what about a balcony above my garage which I do own?

Are you saying you want a roof terrace over the roof of the coach house or over the top of the garages?

In terms of whether planning permission would be granted this is pretty difficult to answer without more info tbh. Permission generally will not be granted if others privacy is invaded. Again pretty hard to answer without at least some photos. Who owns the garages? Any of your neighbours can object to a planning application should they wish to do so. Obviously how it looks will be considered by the planners too.

It is possible to retrofit balconies over flat roofs but it can be difficult. The roof structure will have to be beefed up quite a bit and you will probably need a structural engineer to ensure the balcony doesn't break off. Not particularly difficult but time consuming and fiddly. Especially if the plan is to keep the existing roof finish in place during the works! You will likely also need some kind of protective layer over the existing roof as it is unlikely to be able to stand up to regular foot traffic let alone chair legs etc.

BTW I can offer little in the way of advice regarding the legal ramifications only with regards to Planning and the technical side of things.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
The balcony would be well above the garages and as the roof is pitched, I know itt would be very expensive to create a roof terrace.

The 3 leasehold garages are owned by house owners in a nearby street about 200 meters away and the coach house is in a cul de sac with just 3 houses facing it who have nothing to do with the garages as they have their own parking space.

The best way I can describe the living space is like a big first floor flat but instead of ground floor flat owners there are garages. As balconies are fairly common on all floors in blocks of flats, I didn't think there would be a problem.

It doesn't have to be a massive balcony and I'd be content if it was just above my garage.

Have uploaded photo under my Album. I own garage where car is parked.

Ahh, a picture speaks a thousand words they say! :p

So I'm guessing you want something like this in principal, the one pictured is pig ugly and was just the first one Google threw up BTW. In an ideal world across the full width, otherwise just above your garage, converting one or more of the doors into french doors or similar?

Balcony_45.jpg

It would be prudent for you to try to talk to 'the duty officer' at your local planning department and tell them what you want to do. You could try to set up a meeting with them to go through it rather than over the phone and take a few photos of your house and your neighbours and maybe a printout from Google Earth with you when you meet them. All local authority's are different though, some are more friendly/helpful than others. They will not charge you for advice at this stage.

From a practicalities side of things I am no structural engineer but I would guess that it would be possible without posts for supports as per the one above. It would need designing properly though and would also need to comply with Building Regs.

Yes that is great thanks; just what I was imagining.

Have just checked the plans and my garage is below the bathroom window--not the best location!

I think I will chat up the neighbours first before I plough in with my plans.
I may be naive but I can't see the objections to a balcony above my garage; across the whole house might be pushing my luck.

you say it looks accross the street?
they might have an issue with a balcony on the front of your property as it alters the look of it from the street..
there was issues with a balcony on a garage conversion on"room for improvement" as it overlooked a street..

When I say a street, it is a cul de sac with the 3 houses opposite who each have their own parking space. No one else would use the cul de sac access as there is no unallocated parking.

The back of the coach house is opposite a block of flats (no balconies on the flats) and overlooks parking spaces which abut the back of the coach house. Again this road is a cul de sac just serving the owners of the flats.

When alls said and done only a chat with Planning and possibly doing a pre-application will answer these queries.

Hi

I read your issue and I have the same question, as your was posted some time ago, did you every get the balcony built? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back