Balcony query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We live in a 3 bed semi made in the 60s and have been here around 12 years. Our neighbours had lived in their property from new and at some point in time added a ground floor extension across the back of their property going out about 3m into their garden. On top of the extension they have a balcony and have converted the bedroom window into sliding doors.

Anyway, this has never been a problem as they never really went out there, they were elderly and were always respectful of our privacy.

Unfortunately they are having to sell (their children are handling the sale) and I am concerned about the balcony and new neighbours as it looks directly into my 13 year old daughers bedroom.

I am aware of the 4 year rule but it just doesn't feel right that new neighbours can use it in this way as it would be a massive invasion on our privacy or not only the garden but obviously my daughter's bedroom.

I don't know if the balcony was actually planning approved (I doubt it) it doesn't have hand rails and is potentially dangerous for any new owner.

The balcony now has chairs out on it so I imagine they'll be using it as a selling point.

Have I got any right to privacy in this scenario? Can I do anything?

Last resort would be to put up a divide but then that would stop sunlight into the bedroom so not ideal.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll post pics at some point ..

1000022308.jpg

1000022309.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes the 4 year rule will come into effect but if it doesn't have a handail then it's not really a balcony, merely a flat roof with access. IME first floor balcony's especially accessed off bedrooms are seldom used if at all unless the view is out to sea or otherwise spectacular. If it doesn't have handrails I doubt the estate agents would be selling it as a viable/legal balcony, even estate agents have half a brain.

You could put up a screen/fence along the boundary.

The only thing you can do now is from your side. I very much doubt that you could prevent the new neighbours from using it or get it pulled down. So a screen on your side is really the only option. It is a bit of a mess and an eyesore from your point of view. I notice that there is a blackout blind in that window would that not be enough to maintain your daughter's privacy? Even so I think your only viable option is a screen between you and them.

Sponsored Links
I'd not want an ugly screen in that location. No way.

You can take action under Private Nuisance if the area is used as a balcony.

You could also raise a dispute with the neighbour, which will be disclosed to any prospective buyer and require the area not to be sold/described as a balcony.

One way film on the window would prevent anyone from being able to see in.
We have a full wall height, full wall width window in the bedroom. When we were viewing the house we raised the question of privacy and was informed that they had paid for special glass (one way). On moving into the property, we assumed it to be private until one day, a few months after moving in, I happened to be in the garden and could see my wife naked in the bedroom, there was no one-way glass.
Still, the neighbours got to meet us early on LOL

Change the existing blind for a venetian blind then your daughter can angle the slats so that she can see out and let light in whilst blocking their view inside.

I'm certain anybody using the balcony would want privacy and respect your need too. I'd think about a frosted glass screen although I know this would be quite some cost. I think this is something you might be able to come to an arrangement with the new owner when sold because both will benefit.

Sorry everyone I hadn't seen these replies. Thank you all for your advice. The house isn't up for sale yet so I'll see how it is described when it goes up. The table and chairs out there makes me think they'll market it with a balcony unless the estate agent pushes back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back