Balcony safety

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi. 5 years ago we did an extension to the kitchen which meant we had a flat roof leading out from an upstairs bedroom. The architect suggested we put double doors from the bedroom to the new roof, strengthen the new roof and apply for planning to make the roof a balcony. As the trades were on site this all happened as planning permission request went through. We were refused. We’re not overlooking anyone but the council decided that this was not allowed. That’s ok, we are well over it and it is what it is. However, we are left with double doors overlooking a strengthened flat roof that gets glorious sun in the late evening. The parapet ( I think that what the sides of the new roof are called ) are very low and while you could sit out and look like an absolute prat while running the risk of falling over the side, I was wondering if there are any temporary safety balcony sides you could put up and take down as you chose. Thought I would ask the question before I put a window back in. Can’t bear the thought of the mess. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Did you get a completion certificate from building control when the work was finished?

This sounds quite unsafe. Not sure a temporary barrier would conform to the required standard.

You could put a metal barrier across the doors (if they open inwards) so you could still have the doors open

I'm sure more knowledgeable forum member will be along to help!

Aside from any planning issues, it would need permanent balustrading to comply with B Regs, this would also have to go around any orangery style roof glazing if installed. A simpler solution, as suggested, would be to fix a Juliet balcony to the doors to get the completion certificate.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Surely it's one of those where if it's been there (the roof terrace and access doors) for more than 4 years without enforcement then you can keep it? What you need now is some barely noticeable stainless steel posts and wire - which may have been there all along or need to be there for another 4 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back