Bamboo / Reed Screening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had some Bamboo and Reed screening in our garden for a few years, which is now looking faded. Can anyone recommend any treatment that we can apply to make it look like new or refreshed? :?:

Sponsored Links
the thing to consider is that this was probably originally treated by pressure treatment. It is unlikely you will ever get a treatment to last as long as the original without removing and soaking in a bath of treament!
I've successfully used a garden sprayer to apply wood treaments but they must be water based to be thin enough to go through a pump action spray. Also it will require cleaning every few minutes to avoid blocking the spray tip and shake the pot to avoid the treatment settling out. Ideally use an old sprayer as you won't be able to use it for anything else after. Cover the ground underneath and spray on a still day to avoid painting everything in sight!
As the screen isn't solid some spray may get through to the other side.
Another method may be to use a small, 4 inch, decorators roller. slow but it does work. This creates far less mess but you still need to place a cover over any the ground below to catch the drips. I use them whenever possible now. always wear gloves and a mask.
-----------------------------------------------------------
as this is bamboo and reed it was probably never treated from new.
Also you may have a problem with the grey/black rot on the surface.
I wouldn't suggest wire brushing to remove this and to prepare the surface as the types are easily damaged.
Instead I would spray with a very light colour treatment and repeat a couple of times to get a colour over the grey.
Only ever treat dry material.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator,

You can use the
icon_edit.gif
button to add onto your post ;)

give it a clean off with a stiff brush. i use cuprinol fence treatment and apply it with an electric sprayer (about 17 quid) it holds enough to do 1 panel at a time and does it in no time at all. you need to make sure you wear gloves and a mask. It soaks well into any woodwork and really does revitalise it. I would have thought it would work on the bamboo, but try a bit first.

Chard_1972 said:
We've had some Bamboo and Reed screening in our garden for a few years, which is now looking faded.
I have made a Willow screen fence panel and have use Cuprinol, it does look new again but it does take a while to dry as it doesn't soak in straight away.

Sponsored Links
i had some of that, it was called a window blind, honest, thats what it was origonally, threw it away in the end, got some real (growing) bamboo now

dont use fence treatment on that though breezer ;)

one advantage to the screen stuff .....

breezer said:
i had some of that, it was called a window blind, honest, thats what it was origonally, threw it away in the end, got some real (growing) bamboo now

is that you can fix it upside down, left to right, even 45 degrees, try doing that with real bamboo! All the water drains out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back