Ban-all-sheds manufacturing division?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the technique I read was side cutters to make a cut in the sheath and then pliers to tear off a spiral strip?

I got it done in a few goes - I only wanted enough space to get at the cores.

Sponsored Links
I personally prefer to use the large blue stripping tool made for the larger pyro,even on 2L1.5.
mainly though i tend to use side cutters to spiral all the way down, cut off every 6 inches or so then ring off the last bit with the blue strippping tool, i could never get on with the barrrel stripppers and found they tend to bind up.
I done fire alarm pyro installs daily for 5 years that way as well.
Be carefull when you strip the red sheath that you dont score the copper we had so called trained blokes who ringed it off with a knife scoring the copper, when manhandled into the boxes the scores would split open and the ends would have to be redone.

I will be getting the proper tools - no rush as it'll be a while before I'll be installing the cable, so I can watch eBay for bargains.

Do Joistrippers wear out?

Obviously blades can be replaced, but does the basic mechanism get all loose and floppy?

Do Joistrippers wear out?

Obviously blades can be replaced, but does the basic mechanism get all loose and floppy?

Never known there to be a problem with them in that respect and just a few screws to tighten. The only issue is the blades; once dull they will try and twist and generally make a mess of the cable.

If you have only got a few ends to do, just bend a bit of metal bar in a vice and put a fork in the end, start the copper comming off with a pair of cutters and then wind off with the bar. Either get a ringing tool off ebay, or ring with a mini pipe cutter.

Well, actually its 2 sheds (a large one, partitioned), so that's at least 2 socket circuits, at least 2 internal lighting ones, there'll also be external lights and external power.

2 x 5-socket radials immediately gets you to 20 terminations, each light switch is at least 2....

I've had my joistripper for years and it's still going strong.

I think it's had 1 new blade and that's it. It's proper gear and was built to last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back