Band I and Band II cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BS 7671 prohibits Band I and Band II cables sharing the same cable enclosure or multicore cable unless: every cable is insulated for the highest voltage present etc .....

Does this include cables in capping, such as lighting and telephone cables?

Sponsored Links
Yes as the telephone cables may become 230V. Interference could also be caused by induction

OTSS said:
I am sitting c&g 2381 having done 2360 pt 1 & 2
Can anyone recommend a decent book(s) covering the course?

BenStiller said:
if you have done them 2 courses you should be surrounded by more than enough literature to cover 2391 and 2381....if not though, just go to amazon books and do a search for brian scaddan, everything you will need

Spark123 said:
Some books by Newnes which will help:
16th edition IEE wiring regulations explained and illustrated B Scaddan.
Electrical wiring domestic B Scaddan.
Modern Wiring Practice design and installation W E Steward & T A Stubbs.

Overall, the wiring regulations explained and illustrated is, in my opinion, one of most relevant books for C&G 2381

Decided not to follow the advice given earlier?

divider.gif

OTSS said:
When looking at the cable in an installation if the cable is old the installation will require rewiring.

If cable is PVC is there a rule of thumb that determines if the cable is ageing and requires rewiring?
OTSS said:
BS 7671 prohibits Band I and Band II cables sharing the same cable enclosure or multicore cable unless: every cable is insulated for the highest voltage present etc .....

Does this include cables in capping, such as lighting and telephone cables?

1) This is a DIY advice forum, not a resource to assist you in not studying properly.

2) You cannot take this forum into your 2381 exam, so if you don't study properly, and become familiar with how to find answers in the Wiring Regulations you will fail.

The books are on order

1) Not working in the trade I see myself as a DIYer attempting to pass 2381

2) I'm sure you're right - don't think the attitudes necessary though

Sponsored Links
OTSS said:
The books are on order

1) Not working in the trade I see myself as a DIYer attempting to pass 2381

2) I'm sure you're right - don't think the attitudes necessary though

1: then why do 2360 pt 1 and 2? and if youve done them then you should easily do 2381. even i passed 2381 first time without doing any other electrical courses

2: you should be doin the work yourself. not expecting other people to do it

What does the term 'capping' mean in the context of the question?

Sorry, but, well I have'nt got a clue

In the event of someone attempting to mock me I would like to say I have a regional DIALECT and VOCABULARY

nether of which can be relied on to protect against drilling - unless you can earth the metal kind. Mainly prtects against damage during plastering etc, and serves to cause cable grouping factors to be applied if containing more than 1 circuit.
Some types can be rethreaded after plastering if the wire is damaged, but not reliably.

I was taught that the sole purpose in life for capping is to protect the cable from damage from the plasterer's trowel, nothing more.

If you want proper protection, sink to 50mm and/or place in steel conduit.

Nice piccies Ban
Personally I always use Metal capping as I have long held the opion that it will offer some resistance to drilling, especially to masonary drills. but my college lecturer alway maintained that he would pop-rivet a cpc to the end of the capping and connect to the earth in the fitting.

Nice piccies Ban
Personally I always use Metal capping as I have long held the opion that it will offer some resistance to drilling, especially to masonary drills. but my college lecturer alway maintained that he would pop-rivet a cpc to the end of the capping and connect to the earth in the fitting.

You must use blunt bits then. A fresh one, particularly SDS, or even a regular one on hammer setting, would punch through metal capping as if it wasn't there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back