Bandsaw or re saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also posted in the woodworking section.

Hi all, hoping somebody can help.
I have a 2 hp single phase bandsaw which I use now and again for forming specific sized timber (obviously!). For anything heavy duty though it takes a lot of effort to push anything through it. I have recently bought a second hand 3 phase generator which will give 11hp (or 8KW) of power. I have been looking at some old 3 phase band saws and re saws on ebay with a view to getting an industrial machine which will cut my timber better. To my surprise and alarm it seems that most of the bandsaws (ie startrite 30RWF and others) are only a 2 hp motor. And they are huge great machines. Does this mean that it would only be as powerful as the 2 hp single phase one I already have? Also, when I look at the re saws, they seem to have about a 15 hp motor which is far too big for my generator, which although gives 12hp can only run up to about a 3 hp machine (apparently). So I suppose my question is, would the big 3 phase 2 hp bandsaw cut my timber better than my single phase 2 hp bandsaw, or is the huge 3 phase machine just longer lasting and cheaper on electric, in which case for the amount I would use it it would not be worth getting.
Thankyou for staying with me so far,
Stuart (roofer)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back