Banging Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We lived in a rented house and have a freestanding Ideal Mexico boiler. I'm guessing that it is at least 20 years old.

We find that it makes a banging noise when it is on. It tends to be at about 2 second intervals and we can hear it around the pipes and radiators in the house when it is running. It does it most of the (but not all the time). It is almost like the sound of a quiet gong being rung in the garage or outside the house. It not that loud, but loud enough to wake up our 2 year old at 5:30am when the water and heating come on! I don't think it is a case of kettling because the sound seems to be quiet different for that (I've gathered this from my reading online).

The landlord's have British Gas cover for the system, but I'm wondered if there is much that British Gas will do? Reading online it looks like it is related to limescale in the system which will not be covered by the plan.

I've tried bleeding the radiators and that does not make a difference so it is not a case of air being in the system.

Is this something to get British Gas out for or is it just going to be something we have to live with unless the landlords can be convinced to flush and treat the system!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Matthew

Sponsored Links
If its an open vented system, then I am sure that one of pros on this forum will suggest a blocked feed pipe from the F&E tank.
Look in the FAQs, it tells you all about it.

I had the same problem with a 30 year old Thorn Olympic, sounded like fireworks going off inside.

It will be limescale, plus muck from the radiators, I cannot see BG being interested. A new boiler would be a nice gesture from your landlord :)

It does sound as though it may well be scale/sludge building up and causing the noise.
If the system is covered by BG get them out to it, they won't charge for telling you it's not covered and if you are lucky and the engineer is feeling charitable he might even chuck some system silencer in, but he's not obliged to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back