Banging Central Heating Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a Bungalow and I have just drained my heating system, cleaned and refilled including some inhibitor. I think I have bled everything properly, but I think I have an air lock. I now have banging pipes which sounds like it is coming from the feed pipe, with hot water going back in to the header tank. This happens when the heating or hot water is fired up. I do not seem to have a vent pipe going back in to the header tank, (see pic 1). Would adding a vent pipe as in pic 2 solve the problem? If so, what height should it be above the tank, and does it look like it is in the right place? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I bled the pump, but didn't open the valve. Would it be worth starting over with the valve open?

Hi, I bled the pump, but didn't open the valve. Would it be worth starting over with the valve open?

Always a good idea to latch the valve(s) before draining and keep open for refilling. It might help to try filling again latched. Some systems are just a b'stard to refill with locks. If no joy, you could consider putting a hose from tap onto drain off cock and back filling with mains pressure.

Sponsored Links
if the pipes didnt bang before you messed with them then you dont need to alter anything, just sort out the problem that you created

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back