Banging fire doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all - Just a quick one..... My untolerable neighbour has complained that my internal doors bang shut. Now I live in rented accomodation and all internal doors are chain operated fire doors. Is there anything like a sealer/cushion strip that I could buy locally from Wickes or B&Q that I could stick to the doors , that would still make them complient yet reduce the banging sound?

Sponsored Links
Maybe pass on the number for your landlord to the neighbour? let them sort it out - one of the advantages of renting...

I'd planned to do this but I wanted to go to the landlord with a solution as not to be seen sinking to my neighbours unhelpful level - i wanted to come out of this situation stinking of roses. Any other thoughts?

It is possible to use draft excluder strip for the door to shut onto.. the "pipe" section might be better than the "foam" as it will be full of air when the door shuts on it then compress. You want the minimum amount, so that it will compress, so it doesn't hold the door open and defeat the smoke barrier. You can buy pneumatic door buffers but I have only seen the small ones for kitchen cabinet doors recently.

The other technique you can try is "shutting the door behind you" rather than letting it slam.

Sponsored Links
Try some of these, bit of an expensive way to stop the noise but will guarantee a quiet and safe closure.
p2493448_x.jpg

Why not ring your landlord and ask him to get his maintenance person out to ease the tension on the Perko door closer.

have the doors got intumescent (sp??) strip on them?
We have some doors (although they are double doors) on perkos and the intumescent strip inbetween them doesnt allow them to bang shut.

Maybe that might help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back