Banging noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the central heating has been turned on and the boiler has ignited there is a whooshing sound followed by constant banging and clanking coming from pipes close to the boiler. There are also noises which sound similar to switches or valves turning on and off. I immediately turn the heating off as it sounds as if it is about to bring the house down, and the banging stops after about 20 seconds or so. Does anybody know what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok to me. It's probably just the pipes heating through. I don't get this as I have the new push-fit plastic stuff, by my parents heating system makes a variety of different noises, including the pipes banging together as they heat up.

HTH

I don't think it's the pipes heating up as the boiler turns itself off after about 30 seconds of constant banging and clanking, so doesn't have chance to heat the pipes up. I've never had this problem before and have been in the current house for 4 years.

The boiler is old and is a Wickes 45F manufactured by Halstead.

Sponsored Links
alanperu said:
Sounds ok to me. It's probably just the pipes heating through. I don't get this as I have the new push-fit plastic stuff, by my parents heating system makes a variety of different noises, including the pipes banging together as they heat up.

HTH

Sorry, no offence, but you don't know what your talking about. Why would contraction of pipes cause the boiler to shut down?

Gas2Air said:
alanperu said:

HTH

Sorry, no offence, but you don't know what your talking about. Why would contraction of pipes cause the boiler to shut down?

It didn't say that the boiler shut down in the first post!

No offence taken as that is obviously not what is happening here. A faulty pump is a much better place to start with this one!

Thanks Gas2air. I thought it might be the pump as it is pretty old. I don't suppose you know how much it would cost to have a new one fitted? I've seen new ones for about £50-£60, but then of course there's labour costs.

£60 for a 15/60 Grundfoss, depending on your system. Labour well a pump can be changed in 15 mins, if the valves shut off, 30-45 if not. Estimate!!

It may just be stuck if your on a gravity HW system however, what pump is installed currently?

wall said:
I don't think it's the pipes heating up as the boiler turns itself off after about 30 seconds of constant banging and clanking, so doesn't have chance to heat the pipes up. I've never had this problem before and have been in the current house for 4 years.

Alan read again.

Gas2Air said:
wall said:

Alan read again.

Are you serious mate? Re-read the whole thread yourself and note who said what at what point! Jeez, you try and help someone......

Point taken mate, didnt see that 3rd one, its nearly Friday! :LOL:

Calm down fellas. The pump is a WSP Gold Star. Does that mean anything? As I said it's quite old.

Hi
The symptoms you describe are typical of a failed pump. Could be freed, could need replacing but judging by its age, I'd say replace anyway.

Please don't take any notice of alanperu, he clearly has no idea and thinks that 'bringing the house down' is the norm :LOL:

You haven't mentioned what type of boiler you have so its only an assumption on my part....but a pretty safe bet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back