banging pipes - no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pipes in my flat bang when the boiler comes on then then boiler switches itself to overheat and turns itself off - i have been told i need a new pump in my boiler - does this sound correct ?

Sponsored Links
quite likely. Have you examined the pump to see if it is running?

Possibly. As it is a flat I am assuming that it is a Combi boiler i.e. When you turn the hot tap on, the boiler fires up. It should have a pressure gauge on the control panel which tells you what the pressure of the water is in the system. It should be between 1 bar and 2 bar on most systems. If it is showing none, then the system has lost most of it's water. You can re-fill it with the filling loop, however the water has gone somewhere, so I would call an engineer to find out why it has lost all it's water. If the system does have pressure then your pump is not working as it should and you should call an engineer.

In summary. Call an engineer. :)

Sponsored Links
...unless it has a blockage or is short of water.

Thanks for all your replies - i have an engineer coming out this evening !

Thanks for all your replies - i have an engineer coming out this evening !

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem as you had. How did the problem finally get fixed? I'd like to know as BG say I need a power flush which will cost me >£800!

Turbo,

I have a feeling spam is long gone! The topic is arroaching 2 years old

Turbo,

I have a feeling spam is long gone! The topic is arroaching 2 years old

Yeah, I knew it was over 2 years old but I thought I'd try my luck. Perhaps he still has the same e-mail and might get alerted.

Its a desperate attempt to get some advice as I have a similar problem and I don't fancy paying >£800 (ouch!) for a powerflush!

well start by seeing if it has enough water. Bleed the highest radiator in the house and see if water squirts out forcefully.

Is the pump very hot - hotter than the pipes around it?

Have you got a feed and expansion tank in the loft?

Find the drain cock

What sort of boiler have you got?

When was inhibitor last added to the system?

Can you do basic plumbing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back