Banging pipes woe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
I moved house recently and whenever i switch the central heating on (combi boiler) There is an almighty banging in the pipes upstairs.
I have bled the upstairs radiators but that didnt clear it up so im seriously contemplating ripping the carpet and floorboards up as the noise is enough to hear over the TV and also stop us sleeping.
The only thing that worries me is finding the noise as no matter where u stand upstairs it seems thats where the noise originates

Any advice?
The boiler is a vokera compact he

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply but im afraid im a complete novice so if you could explain what a trv is and how and what im checking it for that would be great.

this is a trv
p4517864_l.jpg

on the end of your rad.
open the trv fully to the highest number, do they still bang.

Sponsored Links
Right im guessing they are thermostatic radiator valves from reading up.
What do i need to do to them to check if there causing said banging?

Ive done that in the room where the noise is loudest (the front bedroom) and the problem still persisits. There is also a towel radiator in an ensuite in this room and i have tried both radiator and towel radiator fully hot and totally off and the banging is the same.
Should i try opening the TRVs in all the rads upstairs?

The only visible pipework upstairs is the little bits under the trvs before they go under the floor these seem too solid to detect any movement?

You've tried them open, now try them closed (all but the towel rail or any that don't have trv's) If this works open one at a time to narrow it down. Some trv's are bi-directional some not. P.S. does the towel rail have trv's fitted ? if so close this as well.

I will try with them all closed.
The towel rails and a couple of radiators downstairs dont have TRV's but do have closeable valves with a + and a - symbol on them but from playing about twith them i dont think these are a temperature gauge as they just seem to be on or off.
Can switching all my upstairs radiators off not mess with the balnce of the central heating?

Not if you only close one side (i.e. trv)

shut the flow side. the one that gets hot first.
if not shut any side but count how many turns so you can put it back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back