Banging Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a heating system, powered by LPG which whilst very quiet most of the time, I have a problem with banging rads. The piping is micro pipe and each rad has a TRV with both the inlet and outlet on the same end, therefore no lockshield valves to adjust. When I get a banging rad, adjusting the TRV gets rid of the noise. I have drained the system down and re-filled it once, which made no difference. Any ideas would me most gratefully received

Sponsored Links
flow and return reversed
there is a locksheild usually under a cap next to the wheelhead either screwdriver or allen key to adjust :D

Got me wondering with the twin entry valve, I have never ever seen a twin entry Thermostatic valve, would be interested out of curiousty to know the make and model !

The name on the valve is Danfoss, which after a bit of a surf, I believe is now at www.danfoss-randall.co.uk.
jonss1.jpg

jonss2.jpg

jonss3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice pic's, thats an evil blue on one of your walls m8.

My advice is to let the system go cold then when its turned on decide which of the two pipes feeding the radiator is getting warm first. The one which warms first is the flow pipe and should go into the port with the arrow pointing up.

Looking at your pics I'd say the thermostatic valves are intended to be on the return side. I would also suggest that there is lockshield valve is on the flow side !!! Try putting your finger on the arrow pointing up, then move your finger in a horizontal direction away from the thermostatic valve, let your finger fall away from you and round the end of the casting and here (yes, just under the big chrome nut) you should find as KEV describes, some sort of screw to close the valve.

don't burn yourself.

Thank you for all the advice posted, I eventually found the lockshield valves on the rad side of the fitting just beside the flow pipe and now just need to find an allen key to fit, out with the blutac! In the meantime, I followed some other advice posted previously and reduced the speed of the pump. This may have sorted the problem as there has been not so much as a tap from the rads since.
Many many thanks to all those who posted advice, I am very grateful to everyone who took the trouble to respond and I shall be a regular visitor and maybe, contributor to this site in the future (& yes, Brumylad, it's a mean blue !)
Regards
Jon S-S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back