Banging when central heating on

sorry to sound stupid, do I open the heater without the thermostat on the left or right? Thermostat is on the right of every other heater so wanted to say that side

Sponsored Links
sorry to sound stupid, do I open the heater without the thermostat on the left or right? Thermostat is on the right of every other heater so wanted to say that side

Both sides.

They may already be open - if this radiator is hot, you can arguably ignore this step.

Has this banging materialised from nowhere, or have you been making changes / decorating / had any work done recently?

Sponsored Links
Take the heads of the trv's and the banging will stop

Sorry dont understand this.

Banging seems to be worse at night as heating on then for longer. No works been done apart from painting since we been here

TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves) come in two halves. The valve body is the metal bit that joins the pipe coming out of the rad to the pipe going to the boiler. The valve head is the plastic bit with numbers on that you twist to turn the radiator up or down.

The valve head is joined to the valve body using a knurled ring or similar. If you open the valve as far as it will go (turn the radiator up) it is usually quite easy to unscrew the TRV head by turning the ring with your hand.

Taking the heads off might stop the banging, but it won't help to narrow it down to which valve.

Personally, I'd start by trying to identify the problem more closely before taking all the TRV heads off. Maybe opening all of them as far as poss first. I'd do it while the banging is happening to see if altering any of them changes anything. If the banging goes away when you've opened them all, you need to identify which one brings the banging back by turning them all down in turn.

Banging seems to be worse at night as heating on then for longer. No works been done apart from painting since we been here
Look very closely at the trv valve body, it will have either 1 arrow showing direction of water flow or 2 arrows meaning the water can flow either way. it it has 2 arrows then it is not the trv. check them all if even 1 has 1 arrow and the flow goes the wrong way through it then open that one fully and the banging may stop although mostly they vibrate rather than bang. That is why the suggestion is to open them. I hope you understand now.

You could try isolating radiators from the system 1 at a time until the 1 without a trv is the only 1 on, just turn the trv to low and that will do.If banging still happens its not trv's.

petertheplumber12";p="2673935 said:

Look very closely at the trv valve body, it will have either 1 arrow showing direction of water flow or 2 arrows meaning the water can flow either way. it it has 2 arrows then it is not the trv. check them all if even 1 has 1 arrow and the flow goes the wrong way through it then open that one fully and the banging may stop although mostly they vibrate rather than bang. That is why the suggestion is to open them. I hope you understand now.[/quote

Peter, nice explanation and good advice but it is possible for bi directional trv's to bang when the heads start to shut down

gaspro1981";p="2673953 said:

Look very closely at the trv valve body, it will have either 1 arrow showing direction of water flow or 2 arrows meaning the water can flow either way. it it has 2 arrows then it is not the trv. check them all if even 1 has 1 arrow and the flow goes the wrong way through it then open that one fully and the banging may stop although mostly they vibrate rather than bang. That is why the suggestion is to open them. I hope you understand now.[/quote

Peter, nice explanation and good advice but it is possible for bi directional trv's to bang when the heads start to shut down
The must be cheap ones then I have not experienced it with customers or myself but I can appreciate it could happen, rather like the banging when a honeywell 3 port motorised valve moves from heating to water without the motor on it.

UPDATE

Last night I opened the hallway heater all the way and the banging was alot less throughout the house apart from in the bathroom. Would it be worth me turning the thermostat down to 0 in the bathroom tonight and seeing if it fully stops?
It may now just be a lose pipe but im no expert ! There is a part of the bathroom floor which gets warm when the heating is on so wasnt sure if the pipe could be banging?

Look very closely at the trv valve body, it will have either 1 arrow showing direction of water flow or 2 arrows meaning the water can flow either way. it it has 2 arrows then it is not the trv. check them all if even 1 has 1 arrow and the flow goes the wrong way through it then open that one fully and the banging may stop although mostly they vibrate rather than bang. That is why the suggestion is to open them. I hope you understand now.

Sorry to be stupid again. If im looking at the attached picture, which part do i open up?

Thanks
David

Undo the big ridged nut under the plastic head and remove head. you will see a metal pin in the centre of the valve that should be sticking up about 15mm,if not gently pull it up with pliars but not all the way out of the valve.Then try heating again and see what happens.

Undo the big ridged nut under the plastic head and remove head. you will see a metal pin in the centre of the valve that should be sticking up about 15mm,if not gently pull it up with pliars but not all the way out of the valve.Then try heating again and see what happens.

Sorry onecog, but I thought it was generally considered a BAD idea to pull on the pin - because it is possible to pull it from the fitting??? I understood that the standard advice was to use a spoon in the palm of one's hand to press it in and out repeatedly to work away any sticking??

David, I would close the TRV on the bathroom rad, and see how you go from there.

It's a problem with the trv's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just identify which one/ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back