Baniging with Hot Water (stops if C/H turned on) !!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton profile 50 el wall mounted boiler.

Installed about 6 months ago.

3 bed semi - pump in room above boiler - 9 radiators in house - conventional boiler. Set to number 3 1/2(6 is max).

When the hot water comes on only (water timed/heating off) after about 5 -10 mins - extremely loud banging pipes !!!!!! sounds like the whole world is about to blowup.....

If i turn on the central heating this stops the explosions.

I have bled all radiators - no air escaping/all rads hot top and bottom.

ANY IDEAS - what is wrong ? i guess air in system somehow can anyone please help.....

PS How can i tell if my system is gravity fed?/sealed or open vented?

Sponsored Links
slackjawgaze said:
I have a potterton profile 50 el wall mounted boiler.

Installed about 6 months ago.

3 bed semi - pump in room above boiler - 9 radiators in house - conventional boiler. Set to number 3 1/2(6 is max).

When the hot water comes on only (water timed/heating off) after about 5 -10 mins - extremely loud banging pipes !!!!!! sounds like the whole world is about to blowup.....

If i turn on the central heating this stops the explosions.

I have bled all radiators - no air escaping/all rads hot top and bottom.

ANY IDEAS - what is wrong ? i guess air in system somehow can anyone please help.....

PS How can i tell if my system is gravity fed?/sealed or open vented?

where abouts is the banging
sounds as tho there is an air lock on the cylinder

the banging comes from the pipes above the boiler (in the room above) that go away to the imersion tank 2 rooms away on the top floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back