Bank holiday call out.

nothing wrong with finding out the "going rate" for your labour.

If I was in the market selling tomatoes, I would make damned sure I knew what other traders were selling their tomatoes for today.

Sponsored Links
One day is 24 hours, much like any other day. If you get paid (probably with some form of bonus) for working a bank holiday, why should you expect a day off as well? Go self employed, then you can work as much, or as little as you wish, and charge what you like.

oilman said:
One day is 24 hours, much like any other day.
Holidays aren't, when you're an employee.

When you're If you get paid (probably with some form of bonus) for working a bank holiday, why should you expect a day off as well?
Because most employees, in most companies, are given a day off in lieu if they have to work on a day that was booked as a holiday.

On that basis it's a reasonable thing to expect. However, there is no law that requires employers to treat public holidays as paid holidays.

If you're in the position of trying to persuade an employer to do this, and/or to pay a day in lieu, you have to tread carefully to avoid appearing to be dissatisfied with your lot.

Personally (if employed, which I no longer am), I'd approach my boss directly, but a group might make him/her feel ganged up on. Remember that the money has to come from somewhere, which is either from profits or from increasing the charge to the customer. Neither of these is going to be palatable.

there is no law that requires employers to treat public holidays as paid holidays.

There will be in April!!!

PS. If your job involves compulsory overtime, such as standy and call-out, the rate at which your holiday pay is paid should be based on the average of your earnings over the 12 weeks prior to the holday being taken - not just your basic.

Many employers are ignoring this requirement.

Sponsored Links
Inky Pete said:
There will be in April
Kay sera, sera.

If the law changes then the employer will have no other legal option, but who do you really think is going to foot the bill? :rolleyes:

[/quote]
PS. If your job involves compulsory overtime, such as standy and call-out, the rate at which your holiday pay is paid should be based on the average of your earnings over the 12 weeks prior to the holday being taken - not just your basic.[/quote]

Sounds good
Do you have anymore info about this.
Thanks

Company i used to work for had the contract for a local housing association. As part of our Contract of Employment which we had to sign every year, we were expected to go on callout for one week out of every eight (provided the staff turnover was not too high which was usually the case). For being called out we were given two hours pay at normal rate for every time we were called out. A pittance! But the attitude of the management was that if you don't like it you should work somewhere else. Check what your contract of employment says.

Sponsored Links
Back