Bank holiday pay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When employed by a company.
Is it compulsory for the employer to pay you for bank holidays.

I was off work for a few months and just realised I missed out on two bank holidays, :oops: as I was on ssp, about 15 pound a day, the firm said I did not need to do a timesheet.

Does anyone know if I am still entitled to that bank holiday pay, before I go to the accounts department.
Thanks
R

Sponsored Links
When employed by a company.
Is it compulsory for the employer to pay you for bank holidays.
I believe that an employer is not obliged to treat a bank holiday as a non-working day.

I was off work for a few months and just realised I missed out on two bank holidays, :oops: as I was on ssp, about 15 pound a day, the firm said I did not need to do a timesheet.
Surely you can't expect to be paid both sick pay and another form of pay for the same moment in time?

Does anyone know if I am still entitled to that bank holiday pay, before I go to the accounts department.
You're not.

Sponsored Links
Some people are confused, and I think it arises from the myth that a public holiday is a 'free' day off work.

Well it isn't. A public holiday is a working day, unless you work in a bank or other public sector position that entitles you to not work on that day.

The definition of your entitlement on a public holiday is in your employment contract. Unless it says otherwise, a public holiday is a working day, in which case, if you're sick, you'll receive SSP for that day.

If your contract said that you are entitled to take a day of paid leave on that day, and you booked a day of paid leave, then you would be paid for not working.

If you booked a day of leave, and then were taken ill, then whether or not your employer lets you 'unbook' that day of leave is up to them - they're not obliged to. Plenty of employers are scammed by some people who are prepared to lie about being ill. It's amazing how many people are taken ill as soon as they arrive back home after a lovely refreshing two-week spell in the sun.

If the day you booked was a public holiday, then it's no different.

What the OP seems to be expecting is to receive a full day's pay for a public holiday that's in the middle of their period of illness, having already been paid for it. Apart from the technical reasons that make that a non-starter, how morally warped do you have to be to think that that's in any way fair?

If your contract said that you are entitled to take a day of paid leave on that day, and you booked a day of paid leave, then you would be paid for not working.

If anyone cares to read or has one for that matter, most contracts will say that bank holidays form part of your holiday entitlement (23days) or whatever.

If the OP was not paid for the Bank holiday then the days in question would still be available, unless he was off long enough to loose that entitlement.

U dont think they can form part of your entitlement, they certainly dont form part of mine.

How many days are there?..6-7?..that means we would only recieve 14 pays per year..the law says it should be 20 minimum

My understanding of the rules regarding bank holidays is an employer cannot stop you from taking them...but isnt obliged to pay you..

I might be wrong though..

ACAS are the people to ask.

ACAS is full of non-committal, incompetent, useless f***ers.

All the bank holidays i've worked, i dont think i've ever seen anything extra in my pay. Nor for the BHs I havent worked.

And I havent had ANY sick pay, ever, from any employer.

I phoned in sick once, for one day with food poisoning. And I simply swapped a shift, so I made up the time.

I'm never ill, and I have no respect for those who abuse the sick pay system, nor those who seem extremely susceptible to illness but never see the doctor. :rolleyes:

[/rant]

all depends on your employer
when i was a train driver i was sick with a broken ankle for 8 weeks

and basicly you are either sick or working
when your sick its as if you are working continuosly so although i assumed i had lost my 1 week annual left after i broke my ankle i hadnt i also had all bank hols accredited as if i had worked :D ;)

As has been said check contract or HR. BG always gave holidays back to you wether Bank holiday or your annual leave if you ended up ill on them. And not always with the need to provide a doctors line to prove it.
The other one we used to get was if it was a rostered day that included an ehancement payment ie a saturday or sunday you where entitled to the shift premium aswell.

sick pay from a good, large employer is typically much more generous than the legal minimum that Statutory Sick Pay provides.

Sponsored Links
Back