Banking Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Village had 6 banks. Now there is only one and that will be gone in just over a couple of weeks.

My lad had some cash saved up. He has a full time apprenticeship, but there isn't a branch of his bank (NatWest) in the town where he works.
.No worries, I thought. I'll just take it to the local branch. I had done this before.

Apparently, you can't pay money into other people's accounts any more. Money Laundering Regulations.

So I thought the next best thing would be to pay it into a branch of our bank (HSBC, we have a First Direct account)) and make an electronic transfer to his account.

I couldn't go to our branch in the village, as it had closed. So I went to another branch.
The lady behind the counter said she was sorry, she could not accept the cash, but I could try a machine in the branch. When I put my FD card into the machine, it spat it out as unrecognised.

Desperate now, I asked the lady what other options there were.

She suggested going to the nearest branch with cash handling facilities (central Manchester) or to try the Post Office.

Not holding out much hope, I went to the PO and explained the HSBC sent me over the road to deposit cash.

The lady serving me turned to her boss and said "The HSBC have sent us another customer."

Happily, I could pay the cash in.

But what is it with cash? Not only have the banks slashed their branch numbers but many of those that are left are no longer set up to handle cash.

I'm beginning to feel very old fashioned.

Sponsored Links
I found the nationwide good for cash - you can deposit in their cash point machine.

I was getting paid by a customer, cash each week so I saved up a few k and went to pay it in -I’ve a business account with Nationwide (well they don’t know that……)

I do wonder just how much this 'rush' to card/electronic payments is costing all of us. I'm sure that eventually it is all the customers who pay for the fraud, stolen and misused used cards.
In fact paying by cheque, with all the banks checks in place (text messages to confirm, etc) I sure isnow is more secure than by card.

Sponsored Links
I found the nationwide good for cash - you can deposit in their cash point machine.

I was getting paid by a customer, cash each week so I saved up a few k and went to pay it in -I’ve a business account with Nationwide (well they don’t know that……)
Our Barclays has about 6 machines inside the branch. You can pay cash into any account via the machine as long as you have a card associated with that account.

Biden just backed down from trying to get the IRS to check on everyone with more than $600 in transactions in a year but have raised it to 10,000 this is claimed to be to check tax evasion by the wealthy , who are they kidding

Biden just backed down from trying to get the IRS to check on everyone with more than $600 in transactions in a year but have raised it to 10,000 this is claimed to be to check tax evasion by the wealthy , who are they kidding
What has that to do with this thread? It's about banking cash in the U.K. isn't it?

She suggested going to the nearest branch with cash handling facilities (central Manchester) or to try the Post Office.

Not holding out much hope, I went to the PO and explained the HSBC sent me over the road to deposit cash.

The lady serving me turned to her boss and said "The HSBC have sent us another customer."

Happily, I could pay the cash in.

How does that work please, I don't have any accounts at the Post Office?

I sold something several weeks ago, the purchaser put a £600 deposit down as a bank transfer, but when collecting paid the remaining £400 in cash - I don't use any cash at all.

How does that work please, I don't have any accounts at the Post Office?

I sold something several weeks ago, the purchaser put a £600 deposit down as a bank transfer, but when collecting paid the remaining £400 in cash - I don't use any cash at all.

At the Post Office, you can pay money into your bank account.

I take my paying-in book, they scan it electronically rather than taking the paper slip.

At the Post Office, you can pay money into your bank account.

I take my paying-in book, they scan it electronically rather than taking the paper slip.

Thanks. I don't have a paying in book - at least not for any of the bank accounts I presently have, will they accept a debit or credit card for paying in?

I don't know. My bank no longer automatically issues the books, but will send them on request. I order online.

During lockdown I occasionally posted them cheques with a paying-in slip. There are also a few in the back of the chequebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back