Barbecues: who likes them?

pipme said:
Just ensure you have plenty of smokes .. better still give up .. benefits all round for everyone ! ;)

Oooh, that's a cheap shot! :eek:

I have to agree wine 9bob tho, good company is the main ingredient!
But then I always was a food wh re!

Bring on the iceland burgers limp lettuce and fosters! C'mon!!!

One more thing, my outlaws have just purchased a George Foreman type outdoor thing... Why? Because it's less hassle... :rolleyes: Some people just don't get it! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Tip: When going to someone else's BBQ, always eat well first. Then you don't have to eat the charred, lighter fuel tasting s**te on offer. Bar-B-Que, yuk !!

Oh, I would agree there Eddie. I prefer a barbecue with close friends because then everyone brings good stuff, and you end up eating well. I went to a barbecue with some people I didn't know well, with £15 of steaks and pork fillet and some rather nice wine. I turned up with plenty more than I planned to eat, so didn't mind sharing provided I got at least SOME of it :LOL: . However, some bu**ers who turned up with cheap MRM-flavoured sausages and beef-flavoured rusk burgers ate my steaks and pork, and drank all my wine. So I ended up eating c**p meat and drinking supermarket own-brand lager. B*stards. :evil:

Anyway, this thread seems to be showing that people enjoy barbecues just so long as the food and company is good.

Anyway, my little tips on barbecue:

1) chicken BREAST can be cooked entirely on the barbecue, and very satisfactorily indeed. I guess the bones on chicken parts are what stop them cooking properly.
2) if you homemake your burgers, they can fall apart on the barbecue. However, you can get a "thing" that clamps the burger together with two grills, and allows easy turning
3) never, ever turn the hose on your barbecue to put it out. I went to a barbecue where 2 minutes after we finished eating, and were just at that pleasantly full stage where you slump down in your chair grinning, he went to "put the barbecue out". This promotes rust and will ruin your barbecue. Chill, let it burn.
4) never, ever, wash your grill. Well, perhaps at the beginning of the season if you have left it out over winter. But no more than that. Your barbecue will heat that grill to around 350 celsius once the charcoal has caught, which will kill off anything. Your grill is like a wok: the blacker it is, the better. The wife of the barbecue putter-outer insisted on washing the grill. :rolleyes: I slapped my forehead a lot that evening. :LOL:
5) Always let a guy do what he wants with his barbecue. He might be doing something that seems wrong, but you may be surprised. I have seen a man stick a half-full can of lager inside a whole chicken, stand it on his barbecue and shut the lid. Turned out beautiful, so good I nearly cried. :LOL: Of course, if he tries to wash his grill you should at least attempt to re-educate him.
6) Let the womenfolk have a go now and again. It's like driving, DIY and the vote, much easier to let them have a go than explain why they can't.

(By the way, number 6 is not meant seriously. You should never allow a woman access to your barbecue ;) )

Barbeques or rather whats cooked on them is ok if cooked by someone who knows how to cook on them, rather than the burnt offerings one normally associates with the "fair weather barbequitist" If enough booze is on offer then the quality of cooking tends to be ignored somewhat :)

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
However, some bu**ers who turned up with cheap MRM-flavoured sausages and beef-flavoured rusk burgers ate my steaks and pork, and drank all my wine.

Lol, did they kick sand in your face as well? :LOL:

pipme said:
In the past, caught mackerel, prepared, tinfoiled, wired to exhaust manifold cooked over 60 miles ... loverly !! .. Well, we thought so !!
normally recipe books state temperature and time, so cooked over 60 miles but at what speed? ;)

keyplayer said:
AdamW said:
However, some bu**ers who turned up with cheap MRM-flavoured sausages and beef-flavoured rusk burgers ate my steaks and pork, and drank all my wine.

Lol, did they kick sand in your face as well? :LOL:

Yes, I am in fact the (two hundred and) forty-pound weakling from those 1950s "build olympic-sized muscles without using weights" adverts :LOL:

Hey, it wasn't intentional that people would nick it, I assumed that no-one is enough of a d*ck to eat another man's steak! I assumed wrong :mad: I'm still bitter ;)

On the subject of the exhaust manifold cooking, I read that you can heat a can of Spam by hanging it in the flow of the exhaust gas of a WW2 Jeep, and some soldiers had a specially-issued bracket with which to do this.

Reminds me of the times I used to cook a 3-course meal for two on the exhaust of a honda C90 whilst riding across Dartmoor. Never managed to get the souffle to rise properly though. And come to think of it the soup used to be a bit watery if it rained.

Still, the sauteed potatoes came out nicely when you went across a few cattle grids :LOL:

petewood said:
Reminds me of the times I used to cook a 3-course meal for two on the exhaust of a honda C90 whilst riding across Dartmoor. Never managed to get the souffle to rise properly though. And come to think of it the soup used to be a bit watery if it rained.
now i know you're fibbing, put two people on a C90 and it ground to a halt :LOL:

I think you lot are on to something here. The internal combustion engine is only approx. 30% efficient, the other 70% being lost in the form of heat. Equate journey times with cooking times and some sort of under bonnet gadget (which I'm sure will be patentable), and one of you may make an absolute bundle. And let's face it , it's got to taste better than that sh*te you get in the Little Chef, never mind far cheaper.

Just keep a box of poptarts in your paniers. Although would exhaust gases have the heat necessary to cause third degree burns inside the mouth, as required by the Poptart specification?

kendor said:
pipme said:
In the past, caught mackerel, prepared, tinfoiled, wired to exhaust manifold cooked over 60 miles ... loverly !! .. Well, we thought so !!
normally recipe books state temperature and time, so cooked over 60 miles but at what speed? ;)

That info is .............for new Customers only !

Recipe books are for pansies !! ..this is eating in the wild my son ...
Long and slow like most good things in life ............ :!:
:D

Sponsored Links
Back