Bare metal garage door

CBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I've searched for the best thing to do when painting a metal garage up and over door, which I guess is galvanised as it hasn't rusted after 30 years :)

I've read a number of threads and they tend to say different things. I've removed all the paint and am now back to bare metal - I'm not sure if I was supposed to that or not but it was in a terrible state and a bit of sanding to remove loose bits wasn't going to work.

I am considering buying Rustoleum 7300 CombiColo which I'm led to understand would work as both primer and top coat.

Does this sound suitable? I really don't want to be repainting the garage door in 5 years.

Sponsored Links
Also I've noticed a few black bits where I've been a bit over zealous. A few of them a some month old though and they haven't rusted. Why?

Don't know if the product you suggest is suitable or not, but usually a special metals primer will do. Hopefully it will say on the tin if ok for galv.

Very important to use correct primer, as you say, you don't want it peeling off - as will happen if the primer is wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBX
I was kind of hoping this product would do as a primer also.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Had a brief look at the spec for the Rustoleum. Doesn't mention special metals...

I was kind of hoping this product would do as a primer also.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Cheers
The galvanising should be dead / inert by now - but calcium plumbate used to be used on new galv. Trouble with these special paints is the cost :eek: I`m using Rustoleum on a Kawasaki GT 750 bike and sidecar right now ;) but I can`t say how long it will last - it seems better than hammerite smooth though . I would use normal u/c and gloss on a garage door

• Thanks
Yeah it's pretty expensive - but then buying 3 different paints would be pricing too.

If the door is bare metal, your not going to put any paint on that will prime, undercoat and gloss all at the same time. With the age of the door its doubtful a galvanising primer will be needed. As said a good under coat, maybe two and a gloss will suffice.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back