Bargains at B&Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought you guys might like to know B&Q have lots of electrical fittings on clearence, things like MK Avant sockets (diff colours), MK fan isolator switches, some brass plated sockets, switches etc.. loads of stuff like that all down to £1 each.
Look for the cardboard clearence bins near the electrical section.

I found this at the Wednesbury store, but the guy thought it should be nationwide.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, but watch yourself in b&q. They have some MK trade packs of 10 double sockets or 5 FCUs. The price marked on the shelf is quite good, but at the checkout they are over 10% higher. When I noticed, they agreed and took the extra off, but said they didn't know what they could do about it for other customers, as it was the computer's fault, not theirs!

I hate to think how they know that the goods in the clearance boxes are cheaper than normal. It bears checking.

Yeah, but watch yourself in b&q. They have some MK trade packs of 10 double sockets or 5 FCUs. The price marked on the shelf is quite good, but at the checkout they are over 10% higher. When I noticed, they agreed and took the extra off, but said they didn't know what they could do about it for other customers, as it was the computer's fault, not theirs!

I hate to think how they know that the goods in the clearance boxes are cheaper than normal. It bears checking.
Its not the computers fault. Its the staff's faults for not updating the shelf edge labels when they are due. The price on their tills and computers changes automatically by head office, and its down to the staff to check the computers for batches of new prices that need printing. Basic store price maintainance.

And the bargain bin stuff normally has prices written on them, possibly even a barcoded sticker over the original barcode, that tells the till what price to charge! They aint that stupid.

Sponsored Links
My wife works in the cash office of a B&Q store, and yes, they are still that stupid.

Unfortunately she never brings home any 'leftovers' :(

They all came up as £1 at the till apart from two switches which were £5, told them they came out the same clearence bin so they adjusted the price to £1, either way still bargains :)

I fish in these bins all the time (Fifer y'know ;) ) and of course there's a small problem in that people drop whetever they're holding into them when they do exchanges so you can get caught. Best to make sure the thing you've picked up isn't the only one ...

Think you'll find under trading standards laws the shop has to sell you the item at the price advertised - on shelf edge. Got me a set of steps in Wickes at £40 less than they should have been that did. B&Q always have good loss leaders as manufacturers will give them great prices on a few lines like DSSO & Masterseal stuff. Anything else like a single switch is likely to be priced highly to make up the difference. However good some of their prices overall the wholesaler is always cheaper and most importantly always has the stock.

Think you'll find under trading standards laws the shop has to sell you the item at the price advertised - on shelf edge.

I once read a law book on the subject. In fact, the price on the shelf constitutes 'an invitation to treat'. This means that the customer can make an offer to buy at this price at the till. If the shop then accept the offer a contract has been made. If the shop wishes to turn down the offer it hasn't broken any contract because none was made.

Of course, most shops will have their reputation to consider and will let you have it at that price. Three times in the last year I have found bargains in Maplin, only to be charged double at the till. In each case when I complained they let me have it at the special price, and then went and tore up the special offer notice.

Several occasions at my shop, staff have put the wrong SEL in front of the wrong product, or the wrong product in front of the wrong SEL, the SEL being vastly different to the normal price of said product. I'm not under any obligation to sell at the price in that case. It clearly states on the SEL, the product it relates to (and the barcode on the product), so I tell them this. Most customers back down when they realise a genuine error ahs been made.

Last week, we set up our promotions a day early, with no prices on them (dodgy territory). In the main "bargain of the week" spot, we had a product that had been on BOGOF before, and would be the day after. A customer assumed they were on offer now, despite no signage stating this. She got 6 of them. Fat cow. Then complained why they werent on offer. I explained the situation. She said its disgusting. I was tempted to tell her she is too, buying 6 big chocolate bars. :mad: I really have to bite my tongue sometimes

:LOL:

PS. In B&Q, look out for the barcode on the shelf edge label, match it to the product before you assume the price is for that product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back