Decent outdoor socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations for a decent outdoor socket, one that can fit more than just the slimmest of plugs and includes all components needed (I object to the B&Q ones not providing a 10p gland that is needed for it to actually be IP66 rated). Most seem too slim for many plugs.

Looking for a double switched with inbuilt RCD.

Something like this (which has good reviews) B&Q sell this one for £40+!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/nexus-2g-13a-rcd-switched-socket/91095

or the MK one (which has no reviews and is nearly 3x the price)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-rcd-socket-passive/76855

but it's really difficult to see how large the enclosure is and what size cable the entries can cope with, I've had problems in the past with christmas lights etc because the moulded plug/cable wouldn't fit properly and allow the enclosure to close.

TIA

Sponsored Links
well that MK one should be good for plugs with large moulded cable grips, because it has all that area below the socket. That's what its for.

However they are big and ugly.

...but it's really difficult to see how large the enclosure is and what size cable the entries can cope with, I've had problems in the past with christmas lights etc because the moulded plug/cable wouldn't fit properly and allow the enclosure to close.

TIA

Do you really mean a moulded plug, or are you referring to the plug in power supplies that a lot of extra low voltage equipment use. If it is the latter then you might want to consider one of these as well; http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...roof_Accessories_Index/Outdoor_Box/index.html

Do you really mean a moulded plug, or are you referring to the plug in power supplies that a lot of extra low voltage equipment use. If it is the latter then you might want to consider one of these as well; http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...essories_Index/Outdoor_Box/index.html[/QUOTE]

Yeah moulded, like the red one in the pic there, the tail is quite large due to the moulding so some boxes wont shut around it. I might consider an enclosure though as you suggest, just a bit big though!

Sponsored Links
Well if it is only a moulded plug then the MK should do, being able to accept a moulded plug is one of their selling points

"Masterseal Plus™ sockets can seal around virtually any standard 13A plug – including moulded plugs – allowing safe connection for any appliance."

This is for the front of the house so if I can think of where to hide one of these ugly things, on of the larger ones may be handy for transformers.

How are these power strip types normally wired upto the mains, via a 13amp plug trailing indoors or directly through a switched DP FCU taken as a spur from an indoor socket? Other than a plugin RCD or relying on the CU RCD, wouldn't I lose RCD protection on this type?

thanks

You could do that, or you could also have your outdoor socket next to the weatherproof box. That way you can still use the socket for other purposes.

MK - always.

If a moulded plug won't fit cut it off and replace it with a normal one.

This is for the front of the house so if I can think of where to hide one of these ugly things, on of the larger ones may be handy for transformers.

Now that the planting has grown it's practically invisible.

How are these power strip types normally wired upto the mains, via a 13amp plug trailing indoors or directly through a switched DP FCU taken as a spur from an indoor socket?
Hopefully by a competent electrician who knows what he's doing when it comes to exterior installations...

Bear in mind it's notifiable in England and Wales.

Other than a plugin RCD or relying on the CU RCD, wouldn't I lose RCD protection on this type?
If the circuit is RCD protected at the CU, why on earth were you originally proposing to use an RCD socket?

Weatherproof RCD sockets cost a fortune, and if your circuit is already RCD protected, as it should be, then you're just wasting your money.

I did a large barn convesion job a couple of years ago and they wanted external sockets, but didn't like the size of masterseal sockets, so we ended up spending a bit of time carefully chopping them in to the stonework.

9ea5d50f.jpg

I did a large barn convesion job a couple of years ago and they wanted external sockets, but didn't like the size of masterseal sockets, so we ended up spending a bit of time carefully chopping them in to the stonework.

I noticed on the PDF link I just posted MK do a flush mont box. Dont think it would have helped you with chopping out the stone work though.

I've used the flush mount kits on a job and they are just like a big flange that goes round the socket. They are only suitable for flat walls, and I think they look better without the kit.

Thanks for all your concern for my safety, of course I wouldn't dream of anyone other than the most qualified person doing such work.

I see the socket as a 1 off so within reason cost isn't a huge issue, I'm not 100% sure the downstairs ring (which I assume is where the qualified person would take the feed from) is RCD protected, however even if it is I'd rather have a seperate RCD on the outdoor socket simply because that's more likely to trip (for example when the hedge cutters go through their cable) and I'd rather not have to reset all the other devices which would have been powered off at the same time. Would the CU RCD also trip before the outdoor one had time to do it's thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back